First Photos of the iPad 5 Rear Shell Show a Significantly Smaller Enclosure

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 28, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rumored 5th Generation iPad (left) vs iPad mini (right)​
    9to5Mac has unconfirmed images of what could be the rear panel for the next iPad. The images match up very closely with a report from last week.
    [​IMG]
    The report lines up with iLounge's first description of the new iPad which is expected to arrive in October with smaller, iPad mini-esque bezels and chamfered edges and curves.
    Leaks of parts for upcoming Apple products are becoming more and more common as the Asian supply chain grows larger.

Update:

[​IMG]
    In this composite, you see the new iPad is much smaller than the current iPad. The iPad 4 (image) and iPad 5 (image) have been overlaid to show the relative sizes.

Update 2: A reader overlaid the screen sizes showing how much of a bezel the new iPad might have.

Update 3: Diwali posted this mockup based on the dimensions of the case:

[​IMG]

Article Link: First Photos of the iPad 5 Rear Shell Show a Significantly Smaller Enclosure

2. macrumors 6502

Menopause

3. macrumors 6502

Kentochan

4. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Hard to tell from the photos, but it almost looks like it could have a non-slip surface. That was a nice feature of the Nexus 7 that I really liked.

5. macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

6. macrumors member

gonna need some other reason to upgrade; ipad3 does everything perfectly

honestly thinking about going android with it's higher res screen (2560x1600)

7. macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I feel like this is so uncommon to say in response to product leaks but... I like it! It looks great!

8. macrumors newbie

Frank Gore

9. macrumors newbie

There really is nothing that my iPad 3 can't do. I'm not a very big apps person, so much that I managed to reduce mine to one page of apps and eliminate the dock all together using Springtomize. I don't even need more space.

10. macrumors 6502a

saccento

11. macrumors 65816

Can anyone tell from these photos if the bigger iPad has thinner side bezels like the mini?

12. macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

13. macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Really? , I don't see it. Looks like aluminum to me, same as the mini.

14. macrumors member

So real surprises.

I think, though, that it will be interesting to see how the non-existent left/ right bezels are in daily usage. The point of the iPad Mini to have smaller bezels was so that you could hold the device with one hand. I can't image that, even with it being much smaller, it will be easy to hold with just one hand.

I guess this just means that Apple is very comfortable with their "holding-hand detection" software that currently exists on the iPad mini.

15. macrumors member

16. macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

I love the new slate (and white/sliver) design, but man it collects prints. It looks awful after a while.

17. macrumors 68020

JarScott

I think this was pretty predictable. Compared to the iPad mini, the iPad looks like a big fat giant and a total ancestor. It's easy to believe that Apple would put a lot of work into making the full sized iPad as thin, light and sexy as the iPad mini. I look forward to this.

18. macrumors 68000

Defender2010

19. macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

It looks exactly like the Mini. Which is *not* a non-slip surface.

20. macrumors 65816

slffl

Wow! That looks thin next to the mini case!! Excited for this one.

21. macrumors member

I'm getting tired and annoyed of product leaks!

I miss the days when products were not basically leaked piece by piece and essentially put together weeks before the announcement. I miss the days of not knowing what was going to be unveiled at the keynote. I miss the feeling of complete surprise and awe when the product was finally unveiled after waiting on the edge of my seat for what felt like an eternity.

Sure the leak if the iphone 4 was some fluke freak accident - and shocking at the same time, but knowing what the iphone 5 looked like a month before the keynote was just down right annoying.

I wish the supply chain would stop leaking images :(

22. macrumors 68000

w00t951

At least this photo wasn't taken with a potato.

23. macrumors 68040

Dwalls90

Nothing surprising here really. Only the fact that everyone thought it would be held off until the Fall. I'm glad it's not!

Dude, you are on a RUMOR WEBSITE.

24. macrumors 65816

slffl

You're think about switching ecosystems and the best hardware, for a few more pixels? Wow, you deserve android.

25. macrumors 6502a

Baklava

That looks so great, really! But I hope, the issue that the graphite finish gets scratched easily (especially at the edges) will be fixed with next generation gadgets.