First picture of G5 & cat? (cute!)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Dreamail, Sep 7, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502

It's probably off topic, but it includes at least a new G5, so it might be on topic. :D

Anyway here is - as far as I can tell - the very first picture of a new G5 and a cat. If you're a cat lover this might be for you.

http://www.macbidouille.com/article.php?id=126
    Scroll down, it's the very last picture at the bottom.

The subtext reads: "Les joies de la circulation d'air ou 'il y a quelqu'un là-dedans ?'" which roughly translates to "The pleasures of air circulation or 'is there anyone in there ?'".

Here's the image:
    [​IMG]

2. macrumors member

3. macrumors 65816

vollspacken

4. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Crossing paths with a black cat standing beside a G5 will bring you the worst luck you can get. :eek:

5. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

6. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

8. macrumors 6502a

9. macrumors 68020

G4scott

The cat's thinking: "with 9 fans in this thing, I'll just stand here when I'm shedding, and it'll suck the hair right off me..."

or probably: "Why doesn't this thing suck all my shedding hair off me like his last G4 did?"

Something tells me that cat hairs and G5's don't quite mix...

10. thread starter macrumors 6502

Which way is the airflow on a G5?

Good point G4scott. But which way is the airflow on the G5? Is the air being sucked in at the back and blown out the front (I think that's what it is) or the other way around?

The question is whether 'mini Panther' here is being blown at or sucked from? [well, that could be grossly mis-understood I suppose... :rolleyes:]

11. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

'The Coolest Cat in the world'?

Cat - Nine Lives.
    G5 - Nine Fans.

Coincidence? I think not... ;-)

Mike.

12. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

13. macrumors 604

scem0

They do! Well, panthers and jaguars, actually ;).

scem0

14. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Maybe the kitten is looking for a wireless mouse?

15. macrumors 68020

G4scott

Actually, it looks like he might've gotten his tongue lodged in the FireWire port on front, and he's being zapped with a small amount of electricity :eek: :cool:

16. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

As far as cooling, the cool air goes through the front and gets blown out the back. There are many pictures and manuals on this on Apple's webpage on it. As far as the cat...I guess Panther is out of its cage and waiting to get into the G5. I sure hope they don't suck dust/hair into the systems real bad like it seems like they could, that is the only real worry I have of the new designs since they are so open to suck something into the system.

Off topic, too, but I've noticed whenever the G5 is photographed, it makes it look like you can easily see the insides, but in person, you have to seriously look hard to really see the inside of the system. It's pretty cool, really. The PowerMacs really are a well designed machine.

17. thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd presume it has to do with the fact that people have two eyes which feed the brain slightly different images. With the tiny holes in the G5 each eye will have a different set of 'see-through' holes while different ones will be 'blocked' because of a steeper viewing angle. Since the set of 'see-through' holes is different for each eye the brain will get totally confused as to whether the holes are now see-through or not.

A camera on the other hand has only one eye taking the photo, and when looking at this picture suddenly both my eyes feed the same image to the brain - and all of a sudden the G5 is pretty see-through.

18. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I personally like the quasi-see through effect. If you look at the sytem from an angle you have a pretty nice inside view of the fan/processor/thermal zones. The system is just really great, I've also noticed how willing the staff is to open one up to show off the inside and for the first time, the PC people at CompUSA are praising a Mac system, which totally took me by surprise since normally they shoot off smart ass comments whenever they see someone in the Mac section looking at hardware.

Back on topic, though, I'd like to hear from people around a month from now who have G5s to just open theirs up and post how much dust/hair is actually inside the systems, just to see if it is an issue.