First Post: Airport Extreme for iBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by redsodeep, Mar 12, 2004.

1. redsodeep macrumors newbie

I want to switch from pc to mac. My 20 gig iPod was the gateway drug. I'm interested in purchasing a 12 in. iBook and was wondering if I should opt for the airport extreme card. My house is running a Netgear Wireless Router WGR614 (IEEE 802.11b). Is the airport extreme card compatible with this wireless router? If so, is it easy to set up on the iBook? I really want internet access from anywhere in my home, so this is a big factor in the purchase. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

2. uvex macrumors member

I also was a pc user until I got ipod...now I have a 1ghz 14" ibook. I had airport extreme added as an option, and it works fine with my d-link router. It's really easy to setup on the ibook, took me all about 3 minutes. I can surf the net from my outside patio :)

3. dudeami macrumors regular

I don't think you should have any issues. The Airport Extreme card will run at the slower speed, as it supports both 802.11b and 802.11g

4. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

I second that. As was mentioned, don't expect 54g speeds - though I'd say you'd probably never reach the theoretical maximums anyway. 11g speeds will be the limit, but that's fast enough for most all home purposes!

peace.

5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

YES YES YES

The best feature of my PB is the wireless card. Being able to roam my place with the computer is simply awesome. I use it with a microsoft router after trying a few others. It works without a problem. You shouldn't encounter any problems, but you'll love being wireless.

6. jumpman25 macrumors regular

I don't think it makes any difference what type of router you are using as long as it is using 802.11b or 802.11g. The airport extreme card will just pick up the wireless signal. It isn't going to know what type of router your using. Just like when your in an airport.

7. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

from the tone of your post, i'm not sure if you are asking whether to get wireless-g in general or specifically get airport extreme card for your iBook. just to let you know, if you want wireless access with your iBook, you have no other choice. only airport extreme card will work.

8. redsodeep thread starter macrumors newbie

To clarify, I'm asking if the airport extreme card is compatible with my wireless-b router. Thanks for the help everyone.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yes it is compatible. Apple's cards follow the standards all other wireless manufacturers adhere to.

And think of wireless as insurance against accidentally ripping the ethernet jack out of your motherboard. Or kicking the ethernet cord and having your 'Book wind up on the floor.

10. clr900 macrumors regular

Wireless is great and will be very easy to set up, the AE card will work well with your router. However contrary to what someone said, my airport card does recognize what type of router I have because when I go to choose a network to connect to it says NETGEAR.

11. phrac macrumors member

phrac

I believe when it says NETGEAR that is just the SSID of the router. Did you change the name of your network at all?

12. jigglyjon macrumors member

wireless is a blessing and once you have it, you will be taking your iBook anywhere you want... plus its fun to find out that your neighbor has an open network and just leach internet off of him...:) with his permission of course ;)