First Post: MBP video card upgrades

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ludakrisb86, Nov 1, 2006.

1. ludakrisb86 macrumors newbie

Nov 1, 2006
    I'm trying to figure out if I should buy the 2.16 or 2.33 MBP. The kicker for me is the video card. I'm a soon-to-be switcher who is addicted to his shooters and strategy games. So I want something I can play PC games on for a couple years to come. But I'm not really a cutting edge gamer- for example, I'm (almost) happily running a 9800xt right now. Not exactly top of the line anymore. So the choice is 128mb vs 256mb x1600. The price difference is $500.

Is the performance difference between the two obvious, gaming wise?

Is the 2.16 MBP's 128mb video card upgradeable to the 2.33's 256mb model if, in the future, I need it? I know that the Core Duo 2.16's ran the 256mb version.

Also, if I get the 2.16, should I have Apple install the extra gig of memory and keep the warranty, or should I void the warranty and install it myself? I'm pretty proficient at working on PC's, but I've never opened up a notebook before.
  2. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

Sep 4, 2006
    this has been asked a lot, search the forums or better yet scroll down the mbp and mb forum list and find them.
  3. 5150 Joker macrumors member

Oct 24, 2006
    Davis, California
    Since the GPU and CPU are integrated with these MBPs, I'd suggest you get the top end MBP so you don't regret it later.