Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I'll never forget showing my iPad 3 to my buddy, wife, mom and dad. I was super excited about the difference. NONE of them thought it was that big of a deal. All of their eyes reacted differently. In fact my buddy who doesn't have great eyesight thought the bolder look to the fonts of the iPad 2 for easier for him to read.
-Kevin

This is very true, and it also depends on how each person uses the device. For me, the retina display introduced on the iPhone 4 was a game-changing upgrade because I like to read entire newspapers on my phone and appreciated the clarity of the text. The same is true for me on the iPad because I use it primarily for reading and marking-up PDFs. Others, and especially others who use it for different purposes, might not care as much. I greatly wish Apple had gone with a higher-resolution display for the Mini (because I otherwise love the device), but I recognize that the screen will be satisfactory for many.

vaniteux

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2011
Yes! My iPad mini was delivered today at 10:24am, love how FedEx is so punctual. Traded my iPad3 in, hopefully I won't miss the retina screen too much, but for my usage, the size and weight of the mini is much more appropriate ... also Apple seems to have taken care of the quality control issues they had with the iPhone 5 as the edges are perfect. :D

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
How about the fact that the iPad 2 did not have a retina screen and it came out after the iPhone 4. And this all happened on Steve's watch. If Apple could have made an iPad mini with retina that was super thin and light, had 10+ hour battery life and they could sell it for $329 they would have. There are trade offs when designing things, and Apple chose thin and light and battery life over retina. And all apps working just as they do on the larger iPads.

stukick

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2000
Say what you will, but after owning every iPad that has been brought to market, the Mini is by far my favorite. The size alone makes the original iPad seemed out dated.

Last edited by a moderator:

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
To get back on topic, my AT&T 16 GB white iPad is out for delivery today. The delivery date was originally the 23rd, changed to the 16th, then changed to the 19th (which it still says). Obviously it will be the 15th.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Can someone post a picture of the white/silver model with the LTE antenna? Apple has not released a single one so far.

raynold2010

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
once you go retina you never go back

this screen is really bad on the eyes, i don't get it why people buy this crap, they must have bought the retina iphone already and got used to its quality...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I wasn't sure about the Mini until I got to touch one and OMG it makes the original look like a dinosaur, it's like half the weight, very thin and not much smaller than it's big brother.

Now just to clarify the WiFi only one doesn't come with GPS so can affect how you use the maps right? I was planning on getting WiFi and tethering it to my iPhone for mobile data when away from WiFi hot spots.

GorgonPhone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
I wasn't sure about the Mini until I got to touch one and OMG it makes the original look like a dinosaur, it's like half the weight, very thin and not much smaller than it's big brother.

Now just to clarify the WiFi only one doesn't come with GPS so can affect how you use the maps right? I was planning on getting WiFi and tethering it to my iPhone for mobile data when away from WiFi hot spots.

^^^um no... the mini looks odd cause it has obsolete screen technology..

RemE

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
My mini is coming via UPS supposed to be tomorrow before 10a but currently shows "exception, missed scheduled connection", in Kentucky and "delivery rescheduled" but still shows tomorrow delivery. Just my luck...

Regarding all the resolution talk.

I LOVED my iPad1 and had one the minute they were available, I'd been testing every small tablet along the way and knew from the 1st minute that this product would change the world. Compared to a laptop, or any other previous attempts, it was really a magical experience.

I LOVED the iPad2 it was a great evolution of a great product, the form factor was even better.

I had mixed feelings on the iPad3, the screen initially wasn't that big a deal, but when side by side comparing it to iPad1 and 2 it really was a visable improvement which I grew to love. But the HUGE battery and the quietly slipped in huge increase in charge time left me somewhat cool on the 3. I have found that I tend to carry it less due to the heft of it. I felt like the iPad2 was really a better all around product for it's price/performance.

I ordered a Verizon Mini and a 4 this pass. But after reading all of the noise on displays, went to an Apple store and played with a mini. The display is pretty good to me, it's better than the 2, certainly not at all "horrible" as others claim and the form factor is killer. After the hands on I cancelled the 4 order for now as I believe the mini will be my all around keeper as it's so markedly portable.

Should they pop out a retina mini, I'd jump to it but charge time does matter and big retina displays eat power so I'd hope they do better than the 2 to 3 battery situation. If the iPad5 gets lighter with a decent charge time, I'd most likely get one as well for customer presentations on the larger screen.

----------

Only the cellular models have a GPS radio. I would HIGHLY recommend that you get a cellular model even if you don't plan on using it. The GPS will work even without a plan active and yes it really makes the mapping programs usable especially the off-line versions like CoPilot and Garmon.

having the ability to activate the cellular in a pinch is very handy, I ended up keeping mine active as it is pretty darn usefull in the field. I prefer the Verizon models because of the free hotspot capability.

Also with an active cellular connection (or your phone tether should you not activate cellular on the pad), mappers like CoPilot Live will display a live look-ahead traffic bar and automatically offer you re-routing options on the fly as you drive, very cool! I drove thru the heart of Los Angeles and missed long delays by having faith in the realtime routing, it was great. I had Nav on the iPads but due to their size seldom used them, preferring the iPhone instead. The Mini may work out better, we'll see.

Last edited:

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
iPad mini not that bad if you see it in person. Anyways, I want to know when the stores are getting it =( if its tomorrow I can cancel my online order since it hasn't shipped yet.

Djangorider

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Verizon not ready for iPad Mini

Just received my Verizon iPad Mini today. When I called Verizon to activate they were not able to do it. Huh?

Turns out their systems are not ready yet!! The Verizon rep told me it's a known problem, and sent me a copy of this email which was circulated to the Verizon CRs:

Team,

We are aware of the MEID for the iPad Mini not being loaded into OnePOS. The warehouse is working to load these into the device management database. We do not currently have a timeframe of when this will be completed and we will provide an update once we have additional information. In the meantime, please obtain contact information for your customer and set a follow-up with them to complete their request at a later time.

Thanks,

mondaybasil

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2012
Wtf guys. I ordered my LTE mini at 12:09 am PST the night of pre-orders... and it still hasn't shipped. Now is processing with a scheduled date of Nov. 21st. I've called Apple twice and they say they can't make any changes. Am I right to be upset?

I could just go to the Apple store tomorrow morning and get one. Why did I pre-order again?

vander

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
San Diego, CA
Came today

I'm was scheduled by FEDEX for Nov. 19th delivery, but it showed up today, quite a surprise as I didn't expect it any earlier than tomorrow, which was the date Apple said it would be delivered.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
...went to an Apple store and played with a mini. The display is pretty good to me, it's better than the 2, certainly not at all "horrible" as others claim and the form factor is killer.
I agree, I took a close look (probably looked like an idiot) and the screen looks great to me.

Only the cellular models have a GPS radio. I would HIGHLY recommend that you get a cellular model even if you don't plan on using it. The GPS will work even without a plan active and yes it really makes the mapping programs usable especially the off-line versions like CoPilot and Garmon.
That's for the info, I did notice in store the location seamed to work but maybe the iPad is using the WiFi location to locate it's self.

I'd love to hook this up in the car as a 7.9" GPS!

Weird thing is I asked in store when the LTE would be coming out and he said early in the year, I'm sure we here in Australia will get it pretty much the same time as the rest of the world.

gkantz

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2006
Chicago, IL
Got my iPad 4th Gen LTE

Arrived this morning. Sucker is fast! Next up is an iPad mini, but I'm going to stick with the wifi version. These data plans will bankrupt me. ;)

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Size and weight make any screen concerns vanish for me. I can notice some text not as crisp as my iPad 3 but the mini is much better suited in size IMO for web, books and the games I play. Sure a retina mini will be nice but I really enjoy the smaller form factor for most of my tablet use.

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Just received my Verizon iPad Mini today. When I called Verizon to activate they were not able to do it. Huh?

Turns out their systems are not ready yet!! The Verizon rep told me it's a known problem, and sent me a copy of this email which was circulated to the Verizon CRs:

Why would you call them to activate your ipad cellular plan? You can do it on your ipad without lifting a phone?:confused:

pavanluvin

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2008
NYC
Why would you call them to activate your ipad cellular plan? You can do it on your ipad without lifting a phone?:confused:

Thats because if you want it attached to your share everything plan or attached to your already existing Verizon account plan. If you do it thru just the IPad then it creates a monthly subscription via credit card.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
Mine was slated for delivery on the 22nd. This afternoon it updated to "preparing for shipment." Now, a couple hours later, it is still preparing for shipment, but the delivery date has slipped until the 27th. I feel hosed. I'd cancel it and find one at a store, but they don't let you cancel one that is "preparing."

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
Shanghaied

I ordered an AT&T 64G Black mini ten minutes after they went on sale (10/26). It was picked up in Shanghai at 4pm on 11/14, and it's been there ever since ("At local FedEx facility") - 45 hours and counting…..

Within a day after ordering, it showed a delivery date of 11/23, then flipped to "ships mid November". Early last week it changed to 11/21, then 11/20. It's a bit frustrating that I ordered in the first ten minutes, but won't get it until 6-7 days after they start arriving. If they show up in stores tomorrow I'll just pick one up and return the one currently stuck in Shanghai…. Does anyone know if refusing delivery will automatically return it and refund my CC? If so I hope it goes all the way back to Shanghai…..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.