Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has just begun offering refurbished iPad 2 units in its online store, opening the way for modest price savings on available models. Discounts currently come in at only $50 off of pricing for brand-new units, and no low-end units are currently available.

refurb_ipad_2.jpg

Models currently available in the U.S. online store include:

- 64 GB Wi-Fi: both colors ($649)
- 32 GB Wi-Fi + 3G: all four carrier/color combinations ($679)
- 64 GB Wi-Fi + 3G: all four carrier/color combinations ($779)

All refurbished iPads carry the same return and warranty policies as brand-new units, and also include new batteries and outer shells. All other components are cleaned and tested during the refurbishing process, with defective parts obviously being replaced. Current stocks are listed as shipping in 1-3 business days.

Apple has been offering refurbished original iPad models at its lowest prices ever, with the 16 GB Wi-Fi model coming in at $299. Availability of the low-end models has been scarce, however, as stock has been quickly depleted by customers taking advantage of the deep discounts.

Article Link: First Refurbished iPad 2 Models Appear in Apple's Online Store

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
do they swap the batteries on the refurbished models to new ones? (assuming that was not the problem to begin with)

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Why discount for more when it is just now starting to accumulate on shelves in stores?

On a side note, I wonder if the first refurbs sit on a warehouse shelf for a few months before they start selling them?

Steph2472

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
Grabbed a 32 w/att this morning! Happy birthday to me! Was not going to get the 3g and save but at the discount i decided to treat myself!

csimon2

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2004
The continued sales of the iPad 1 only exemplifies the fact that Apple needs to continue the selling of new iPad 2s (at a discounted price of course) once the iPad 3 is released. Offering a broad range of models at a broader range of prices certainly wouldn't hurt and would ensure further dominance in the tablet market.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Still better to buy new online. On a high end unit sales tax is still around $50+ so why not just get new online with free shipping and no tax?

$100 discount is needed IMO for this to be a good deal.

mms13

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I'd rather spend $50 more and get a brand new shiny one...
Guarantee you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a "brand new" iPad and a refurbished one. I pretty much exclusively buy Apple products refurbished (with the exception of iPhones cause they don't offer those). I've got a refubished MacBook Pro, Apple TV, and Airport Extreme. They all appear brand new when I get them and I haven't had any issues with them yet. And I've saved a lot of money.

Nothlit

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
Still better to buy new online. On a high end unit sales tax is still around $50+ so why not just get new online with free shipping and no tax?

$100 discount is needed IMO for this to be a good deal.

Technically, in most states you are still required to pay sales tax on online purchases, even if the retailer doesn't collect it. Just because most people fail to do so doesn't make it legal.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Guarantee you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a "brand new" iPad and a refurbished one. I pretty much exclusively buy Apple products refurbished (with the exception of iPhones cause they don't offer those). I've got a refubished MacBook Pro, Apple TV, and Airport Extreme. They all appear brand new when I get them and I haven't had any issues with them yet. And I've saved a lot of money.

And you're not kidding . . .

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/15?mco=MjEwNzM3MzE

Some pretty substantial deals there.

Marucins

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
Only $50 less for a refurbished unit :rolleyes:

yeep

Remember this site? http://store.apple.com/us/browse/reuse_and_recycle :)

Apple iPad 2 64GB (Wi-Fi) (White)
Estimate provided by PowerON:
$305.00
FREE shipping - yes
FREE packaging - yes

Are there any cracks or damage to either the display or case? - No
Are there light to moderate scratches or scuffs on either the display or case? - No
Has the iPad been water damaged? - No
Does the battery fully charge? - Yes
Does the iPad work properly? - Yes
Has the back cover been engraved? - No

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Not sure I understand how refurbished iPads work for Apple price-wise. I mean, isn't it just cheaper to just make a new iPad, than to take an old one apart (unglue everything with a heat gun, etc…), take the logic board and screen out, then place it into a bran new casing, reassemble and glue everything back? I understand that the most expensive part is probably the screen, the memory and the storage, but I'm sure the manual work involved and the new outer shell and battery is almost just as expensive. This would explain why it's not that much cheaper.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Not sure I understand how refurbished iPads work for Apple price-wise. I mean, isn't it just cheaper to just make a new iPad, than to take an old one apart (unglue everything with a heat gun, etc…), take the logic board and screen out, then place it into a bran new casing, reassemble and glue everything back? I understand that the most expensive part is probably the screen, the memory and the storage, but I'm sure the manual work involved and the new outer shell and battery is almost just as expensive. This would explain why it's not that much cheaper.
No, not all refurbished iPads were broken. Some were probably returned because the customer wasn't satisfied in one way or another ("I bought the 16GB WiFi version, but it turns out I need more space and 3G so I'm returning this.").

The point in refurbishing a broken unit is the fact that the components are rather pricey. The estimated bill of materials cost for the iPad 2 is $326, the most expensive component being the display/touchscreen panel at $127. If Apple junks the device, they lose $326 in BOM. If they spend a small amount in repair labor, plus the necessary replacement part, they can still sell it at a profit.

3dflyboy1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2011
California, USA
@baryon you do not understand is that electronics is consumed.

umm. your point is..? :confused::rolleyes:

No, not all refurbished iPads were broken. Some were probably returned because the customer wasn't satisfied in one way or another ("I bought the 16GB WiFi version, but it turns out I need more space and 3G so I'm returning this.").

The point in refurbishing a broken unit is the fact that the components are rather pricey. The estimated bill of materials cost for the iPad 2 is $326, the most expensive component being the display/touchscreen panel at $127. If Apple junks the device, they lose $326 in BOM. If they spend a small amount in repair labor, plus the necessary replacement part, they can still sell it at a profit.

great explanation :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'm impressed by the extent to which the iPad first gen is holding value.... more than a year after the original iPad came out, it's worth more than I would have expected, compared to an outdated iPhone or iPad model.

sswanky

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
do they swap the batteries on the refurbished models to new ones? (assuming that was not the problem to begin with)

Yes:

"We test and certify all Apple refurbished products and include a 1-year warranty.
All refurbished iPad models also include a brand new battery and outer shell."

Does anyone know if new "outer shell" means new glass?

Thanks.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Finally

I have been waiting for refurbs to arrive.

No 16gb versions so still waiting it seems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.