First Snow for Washington State

Discussion in 'Community' started by tazo, Nov 19, 2003.

1. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Its been snowing for a bit in Western Washington, but unfortunately it is raining extremely heavily as well -- causing the lake behind my house to overflow, leaving the ducks on land, and 1st floor residents in panic....

Snow...blessed snow :p

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Why is this such a big deal....its been snowing in many states already. We've had snow at our site in Alaska off and on for a couple months. What's next?

The first icicle....
    The first snowball....
    The first flower.....
    The first robin....
    The first leaf....

D :rolleyes: :p

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

it's still hitting temps of 80° & plus here...

4. judith macrumors regular

judith

Why?
    I was all excited to see this thread! It's itchyness that's why! I was so psyched to hear that our beloved Mt Baker is opening tommarow instead of next week as predicted earlier, I about lost it.. where's the wax, where are my boots... Plus I've got the "Can we build a snowman?" nagging all summer, so finally I am able to answer all those cute little voices w/ a yes.
    I guess without the anxious mob, and if snow's not your thing, then it could seem ho-hum; but for me it's 30 minutes from front door to chair lift and lovin it!

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

dont be so grouchy ;) the first time it snows in our area i'm gonna post it just for you ;) :D

6. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

We've had our first snow here in Minnesota (we got about 6 inches or so)in October. It stayed for about week, but it's now gone. It's supposed to snow again this weekend.

7. judith macrumors regular

judith

This is not a "first snow" kinda snow. This is full-scale, resort is officially opening, all lifts are running, 18" in the last 24hrs and counting kinda snow!:D
    We are lucky, as most resorts across the country are receiving more rain than snow right now. Mt Baker gets more snow than any other resort in North America, averaging over 700"/season, it also hosts the worlds largest annual (since '85) snowboarding competition. This is the earliest opening of the season in about ten years!
    Yeah, some of us(<<) are a little excited about it!

8. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Luckie, It's been 35+ degrees C, in Adealide, welcome to the Australian Summer.

9. job macrumors 68040

job

Hah...it's 75 degrees, slightly windy and not a cloud in the sky here in the Woodlands. :p

Perfect day for some Ultimate. :D

10. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

mmmm... that DOES sound good right about now

11. tazo thread starter macrumors 68040

tazo

Heh,

about five minutes ago it started hailing out -- pebble-sized hail to be exact....

its winter all right...

If I had a camera, I would take pictures of the flooded lake area...its interesting to see where grass should end, and where the lake should start, and how there is no longer such a definition. Or how the water level, is up to the level of the dock, you can just barely see the dock peeking over the water..

Here is the dock in question:

[​IMG]

Now you can see the right side of the dock well above water, now imagine that the water level is up to the dock level.. :eek: :eek:

12. judith macrumors regular

judith

Pardon the old hag here, but the teenagers are grown and out of the house, and I have no one to ask. Could you further allude to the meaning of this term please? Who knows, I just might agree..;)

13. tazo thread starter macrumors 68040

tazo

Heh judith, he wasn't coming on to you. I am pretty sure he was talking about how it would be a great day to play Ultimate frisbee....

14. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Heck we had some flurries on October 12, and this was in NJ!!! Let it snow let it snow let it snow!:D

15. job macrumors 68040

job

yep...ultimate frisbee...unless of course, you have a different ultimate in mind. ;) :D :D

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm really looking forward to our 1st real snow here in Boston. No snow is predicted for Thanksgiving! :(

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ha, its 60 and sunny here today, even better for ultimate - and I'd be out playing at lunch if I hadn't pulled my hamstring at the tuesday lunch game...

Anyway, we won't get a really good snow here until probably 2004.....and playing ultimate in the snow is always fun....;)

My point had been that snows already been falling in quite a few places, its nothing all that special really. There's nothing wrong with a snow thread though, I love it myself.........

D