Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Where was this when I had to do a huge report on this! About 8 months ago I couldn't find enough info on solar sails now this comes out. God technology is fast! I can see this being the next frontier for space travel.

Dyaus

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2005
mvc said:
Ok, I'll bite, what's MATS, my obscure acronym translation filter is not working today.

I'm guessing they are making reference to the following acronym:

MATS = Mass Avoidance Transportation System

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I was very saddened yesterday when I heard on the Radio that they had lost radio connection with the craft soon after the launch. Then I saw it in the newspaper this morning. I though about you Mr. Anderson and what disappointing news. Apparently they don't think that the launch vehicle was at fault. Hopefully they will find the problem and can correct for a future successful mission.

pinto32

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2003
PA
Its too bad it failed...building the thing was a major accomplishment in itself, but it would have been absolutely HUGE if they had managed to get it into orbit. Oh well, hopefully this incident will help them get better funding for a new, better mission. After all, it took 11 Apollos, plus several Gemenis and Mercuries for us to make it to the moon, and that was with federal funding and a presidential mandate.

pinto32 said:
Its too bad it failed...building the thing was a major accomplishment in itself, but it would have been absolutely HUGE if they had managed to get it into orbit. Oh well, hopefully this incident will help them get better funding for a new, better mission. After all, it took 11 Apollos, plus several Gemenis and Mercuries for us to make it to the moon, and that was with federal funding and a presidential mandate.

Or a large sound stage and a camera crew, but I digress...

If anything, this incident will getter them less funding. Elected officials these days are not that excited about space exploration and for that matter, neither is the general public. When you mention a solar sail, most people just scratch their heads. Maybe Russian officials will feel differently, what do they have to lose. $4 million for a spacecraft these days is a bargain at 10 times the price.
If NASA wants public interest, they are going to have to make more missions successful the first time around, or start sending monkeys into space.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
The problem with people being excited about space exploration is that we can't really explore space. We can sent probes all over the place, but it isn't like we can go make a settlement on mars anytime soon. And the sad thing is that I don't really think we'll ever be able to do it. Mainly because we don't have the energy to really do it. Sure we can get plenty of free energy from nuclear fission, but its difficult to turn that into a viable means for space travel. And as of yet there is no new physics on the horizon that will allow us to travel anywhere near the speed of light. or warp or hyperspace or jump or whatever you want to call it.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
jared_kipe said:
The problem with people being excited about space exploration is that we can't really explore space. We can sent probes all over the place, but it isn't like we can go make a settlement on mars anytime soon. And the sad thing is that I don't really think we'll ever be able to do it. Mainly because we don't have the energy to really do it. Sure we can get plenty of free energy from nuclear fission, but its difficult to turn that into a viable means for space travel. And as of yet there is no new physics on the horizon that will allow us to travel anywhere near the speed of light. or warp or hyperspace or jump or whatever you want to call it.

Ah, but there is plenty of energy and raw materials in space - we just need to get up there. All those comets and asteroids have more than enough water (ice) that we can use and both of Mars' moons are ice balls :D

I think we'll eventually get there, but we definitely need better technology to make it a permanent thing. Also, we need some more competition, whether from other nations or commercial enterprises. With the state of things now, bureaucracies bog down the ability to get it done.

D

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
jared_kipe said:
And as of yet there is no new physics on the horizon that will allow us to travel anywhere near the speed of light. or warp or hyperspace or jump or whatever you want to call it.

No new physics to allow us to reach the SPEED of light, but all kinds of math can prove that we can move between two locations in less time than "Conventional" means, like light. For example Worm holes are a mathematically proven concept. That doesn't mean you leap into them and come out the other end in a hail of blue vortex alla StarTrek. However Space is warped. The idea that light doesn't take the shortest distance between two points might also be proven, but I forget exactly and so won't claim it as fact here.

Math can prove a lot of things that many dismiss as fantasy. However Science and Math proved a lot of things back in the day that people for century would call lunacy. All it took was a single discovery and the ability to create what Math had already proven to allow fantasy to become common knowledge.

I'm a God fearing man. To me we were created to discover. We have been given a helluva lot of space, and a helluva lot of time to deal with that space. If there is even the slightest chance of us making it off this rock, I believe it will happen.
But I'm a romancer, so don't listen to me ;)

For active space travel/exploration to ever become a reality, there needs to be an economic interest to drive it. The reason that Europeans set sail (and others before them) was to find a more cost effective route to India/East Asia. Then, when they stumbled upon the "new world" they explored it in search of gold and then colonized it to grow tobacco and other cash crops. So, until we find the rivers of crude oil on Mars or the dark side of the moon, we are going to be stuck on this little planet of ours.
As far as wormholes/near light speed travel, we should probably just give that up right along with time travel. But I would love to be wrong.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
anonymous161 said:
For active space travel/exploration to ever become a reality, there needs to be an economic interest to drive it. The reason that Europeans set sail (and others before them) was to find a more cost effective route to India/East Asia. Then, when they stumbled upon the "new world" they explored it in search of gold and then colonized it to grow tobacco and other cash crops. So, until we find the rivers of crude oil on Mars or the dark side of the moon, we are going to be stuck on this little planet of ours.
As far as wormholes/near light speed travel, we should probably just give that up right along with time travel. But I would love to be wrong.

Perhaps the history books have been updated since I was a kid. But my understanding was the Columbus was convinced he could sail around the world, when NO one else thought it was possible due to a flat earth. He wanted funding for his journey so he approached Kings and Queens trying to convince them it was worth it. The first country he proposed it to thought he was a nut case and sent him packing. And I'm pretty sure he didn't leave with people patting him on the back going "go get em tiger, go find a new trade route!".

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
Earendil said:
Perhaps the history books have been updated since I was a kid. But my understanding was the Columbus was convinced he could sail around the world, when NO one else thought it was possible due to a flat earth. He wanted funding for his journey so he approached Kings and Queens trying to convince them it was worth it. The first country he proposed it to thought he was a nut case and sent him packing. And I'm pretty sure he didn't leave with people patting him on the back going "go get em tiger, go find a new trade route!".

Yes he thought he could sail around the world and thus finding the shortcut trade route. You are both correct, IIRC.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
But one important issue that we've not really had to deal with yet is the population on the planet and limited resources. Eventually, and most likely within the next 50 years, there is going to be increasingly added pressure in living on the earth and living comfortably (already many people are having a tough time as it is). And that's not even dealing with any problems other than population and food supply. If there is any significant global warming, it will just make things worse.

So as the pressures mount, we will attempt to expand outward - space and colonies on the moon and Mars won't relieve much at first, but it will pave the way for more expansion eventually. So I think social pressures, not just capitalistic ones might be enough to drive continued exploration.

D

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Mr. Anderson said:
But one important issue that we've not really had to deal with yet is the population on the planet and limited resources. Eventually, and most likely within the next 50 years, there is going to be increasingly added pressure in living on the earth and living comfortably (already many people are having a tough time as it is). And that's not even dealing with any problems other than population and food supply. If there is any significant global warming, it will just make things worse.

So as the pressures mount, we will attempt to expand outward - space and colonies on the moon and Mars won't relieve much at first, but it will pave the way for more expansion eventually. So I think social pressures, not just capitalistic ones might be enough to drive continued exploration.

D
I agree, remember a lot of industrys have been formed around pleasure,hobbies,sports and just fun. Space will be like that. I imagine one day folks will be wanting to get away from Earth just to be" Free "again, sort of like the U.S. hundreds of years ago. Who wants to live under govt oppresion? Every Govt on earth cant seem to make enough restrictions or Law if thats what you call it. Let them find some gold or some rare material on a moon or planet or even asteroid and they will figure out the hard stuff. Only thing holding man down is not having Nuclear spacecraft that could free roam.

Earendil said:

Not exactly, the earth was fairly well known to be round, but no one could agree on how big around it was. Most thought it was too far to sail from Europe to East Asia around the backside of the world (which, at the time, was basically true, had the Americas not been in the way, Columbus probably would have run out of supplies). Several of the governments turned him down, yes, and the growing kingdom of Spain finally gave him the permission and provisions for his journey after he tried to persuade them for about 7 years. Most of the funding, however, came from private individuals who had interest in the new trade route possiblities as the Spanish crown was pretty much broke. Therefore, economic interest was the key to the discovery of the new world. Later the Spanish sent armies of explorers to search for gold and as a side effect they colonized the Americas, interbreeding with the natives (or killing them with diseases). Other European nations followed suit. While the pilgrims landed on Plymouth to practice religion freely, the most successful colony of the time, Jamestown, was all about tobacco. The fact is, none of them would have known about the place had ole' Chris not convinced some folks that there was a faster way to get silk and spices from Asia than on a camel's back.
Basically, Man may dream of stepping on Mars, but his feet will remain firmly planted on Earth unless someone else thinks they can make a buck. Hell, private space planes loaded with billionaires might make it into space before NASA gets a shuttle up there again.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
ya then the mafia moves in to air distribution on the moon and mars, the next thing you know it is all about alien artifacts, mutants, corporate franchises,........Total Recall! :p

Dont Hurt Me said:
I agree, remember a lot of industrys have been formed around pleasure,hobbies,sports and just fun. Space will be like that. I imagine one day folks will be wanting to get away from Earth just to be" Free "again, sort of like the U.S. hundreds of years ago. Who wants to live under govt oppresion? Every Govt on earth cant seem to make enough restrictions or Law if thats what you call it. Let them find some gold or some rare material on a moon or planet or even asteroid and they will figure out the hard stuff. Only thing holding man down is not having Nuclear spacecraft that could free roam.

One difference I can see is that, when people came to America seeking freedom, they didn't have to worry about where their air and water would come from. Living in a space colony where your boss is in charge of the air might not be the best place to start a discussion about "inalienable rights."

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
anonymous161 said:
Living in a space colony where your boss is in charge of the air might not be the best place to start a discussion about "inalienable rights."

And human rights too! Screw the aliens and their inalienable rights, what about us! :eek: ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.