First Swim of the 2005 Season

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So it got up to unseasonably 83 here today and the lake was a balmy 64 and I managed to get in for a little while. Not the coldest I've ever swam in, but not exactly warm either. With the trees just about to pop with leaves, I'm looking forward to Summer.

D

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you have a lake right behind your place in IN right? thats sweet, if its up to 64 already you will get plenty of use out of it during the summer months, too bad i have to go all the way down to Lake Michigan for a swim....

got pictures of the trees budding yet? :D

3. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'll have to get some pics, then. I'm hoping to get in again tomorrow :D

Its amazing how the cold water saps your strength, though. I got tired quite fast. And we're planning to get some reclaimed Lake Michigan beach sand for our beach along with our neighbor. We'll have a great little white sandy beach, not that crappy masonry, pebbly sand we have there now....

D

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

nice, good luck with the sand, i would use some bricks and what not to seperate the 'beach' from the grass so the grass doesnt take a beating from it during the non summer months

cold water does tire you out though because your body is not only working while you are swiming, which uses all your muscles, but the colder the water the more your body has to try and keep your temperature up, and thats every part of your body because your submersed......man i miss swiming

how big is the lake btw? how deep do you know?

5. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

We already have a beach there now, and its bordered by large pieces of lumber (8x8s I think). This new sand is to replace what has washed into the lake over the winter. I'm also going to add another row of lumber to make it deeper so I can pile more sand in. I'll have about 10 cubic yards to move.....

The lake it 27 acres and about 60 feet deep - quite nice, very clean and quiet :D

D

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

WOW :eek: that must be beautiful and tranquil, i would love to have something like that right there for me.... you went skating during the winter right? i could only imagine how much life and energy having something like that always around you would give off (im a nature person so something like that would literally just feed me energy looking at it)

any fish in there? do you have a boat/canoe? that would be a good relaxing day just rowing out to the middle of the lake and laying in the boat..... working out by doing laps around the lake.....

great im getting jealous... ;)

7. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, no boat yet - a canoe and kayak in the future this summer. As for fish - there are plenty, even caught a few last year, but I'm not much for fishing. I'd rather be swimming or kayaking (borrowed a neighbors all last year).

D

8. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Sad to say that its in the 40s and we might see snow flurries tonight or tomorrow....which means the lake is going to be getting cooler - I was watching the mist rise off of it this morning. I might not get back in swimming until next month now.....

Oh well...anyone else have a lake/pool/watering hole they have to wait on before going swimming?

D

9. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Its in the 50s and raining now. They are talking snow from Sunday into Monday.

I need a swim. A good long swim.

10. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

Since I live in Minnesota, we typically have to wait until June until we can start swimming in the lakes. Hell, the ice finally came off the lakes a few weeks ago.