First thing to do to a new PB?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Jeewhizz, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Jeewhizz macrumors regular

I'm just starting up on the mac scene after years on windows and a couple of years on linux. What's the best thing to do once i get the PB? A good friend of mine suggested running the program from here:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13031

to remove all the language stuff i don't need.

Anything else?

What about 'must-have' software? I'm gonna go for openoffice before i decide on whether to splurge out for office X :)

Cheers,

Jee

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

get some basics

Register it with Apple, that should have been first. Removing the languages is good, gives you back some space. Get a Divx player, either Mplayer or vlc and maybe install the codec for quicktime, but quicktime can't play all files so its good to have one of the two mentioned above. Get UnrarX for the .rar files.

Buy iLife and start producing anything media you want. Get Xcode and start making programs.

Openoffice is good, not native but better price than the full version of MS Office X. Seems like that is all the basic person needs.

3. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    get more RAM. i think OS X wants a gig, minimum. It'll cost you $100 for a 512mb stick.

4. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Your PB will have most of the stuff you will need, and, if it's new, will have iLife '04 with it. Get more RAM from somewhere cheap like crucial.com - I have 768MB RAM and it runs like a dream, even with 12 programs open.

You may want to get MacJanitor, a freeware program (get from Version Tracker) that runs UNIX cron scripts for you (because your Mac may not always be on when it's scheduled to them). This keeps your system in tip-top shape.

Other than that, you're good to go. It's worth downloading RealOne and Windows Media Player for whenever you stumble across those codecs. I have MS Office, as well as OpenOffice, and I much prefer the Microsoft version, but then I got it discounted (student) and I have no experience of Linux, etc.

And if you miss Minesweeper and Solitaire from Windows, there are nice freeware ones available (e.g. Aqua Mines).

I hope the transition is a smooth one. I know will be.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

In the end, it's up to you, but UnrarX isn't necessary for decompressing .rar files - Stuffit Expander (when updated to Stuffit Standard by downloading from stuffit.com?) can decompress RAR archives. If you need to create RAR archives, you'll need a command-line tool from RARLAB. You'll need to open the Terminal to run it.

6. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

i wouldn't download real. crappy program. keep your mac free of it.

7. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

stuffit wil not decompress ALL rar files. actually, i have never had it successfully decompress one for me. unrarX works every time for me.

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That's strange - I've never had trouble decompressing RAR files with Stuffit Standard v8.02 (or any prior version, for that matter). If Stuffit gave me trouble with a particular RAR file, I'd use the command-line tool I mentioned earlier - it's the official RAR compressor/decompressor. I believe that that command-line tool is used as the back-end for unrarX, which was far from perfect when I tried it (it couldn't create RAR archives, only decompress them).

9. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

RealOne Player is spyware. Stay away from it.

10. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I need RealOne Player to run the videos on the BBC News website.

11. Jeewhizz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys :)

I have alrady pre-empted that i'll need more ram,and got 512 on its way from crucial as we speak - cost me 90 quid :O (US$150!!)

I can get office under the student license, but i don't really want to pay for office programs unless i have to - as i rarely do much stuff apart from the odd essay :)

Jee

12. Applexilef macrumors regular

First thing to do with a powerbook?

send it to: 12234 miller way
    Orlando, Fl 12142

It will be greatly appreciated

13. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

First thing you should do it make sure you have a suitable bag to carry it around it. The second is find a place to use it at home on a desk. Somewhere where you won't have to worry about cords getting caught on your feet or leg when walking away.

{Flashback} So I wasn't too smart about watching out for the cords and the powercord tangled around my right foot as i was walking away from my desk and pulled the powerbook with it, which ended up landing on a concrete floor. The casing around the power plug on the computer was dented in and also bent the circle metal part on the power adapter. It also probably led to the death of the LCD which apple fixed.{/end Flashback}

14. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I've just checked the RAM prices at crucial for my 12" PB. It seems that they have gone up recently to £78 (inc VAT) for 512MB 2100 RAM. I purchased for £74 in January, but last month they were £61. Guess it fluctuates quite a bit, desipte a general downward trend with time. The 1GB module for mine has gone up to £250 from £180.

15. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

ram goes up and down as much as stocks or fuel costs :)

16. nargot macrumors regular

totally agreed, real sux! it was never good! dont support it by downloading it.

17. nargot macrumors regular

the only extra programs i need (truly need for work purposes are) File buddy, mplayer, audacity, audio hyjack and Kismac. (this list does not include any speciality programs that the usual user would not or never need to use)

18. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

First thing I did: Get out the camera, take pictures while unpacking and switching it on.

Second thing: Pop in my Sting DVD (my PowerBook is my first DVD player)

Third thing: Figure out how to charge :).

19. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i'd pay attention to the rubber legs on the bottom casing. if at all possible, pry them off (without damaging them) and glue them back on with superglue.

don't force too much, though. but it's almost a given that the glue they use gets weaker in a matter of months.

3 out of four of mine came off after about half a year of use and i almost lost them... i pried off all of them and glued back and they've been rock solid since.

20. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

someone said that this was spyware, but i though this didn't exist on theMac? I have it also to listen to the BBC stations and PBS (This American Life) - is there an alternative?

21. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

well..as there was another thread...first thing should be, unpack , take ur pb to the library and get laid..may be a brand new pb gets even more hot chick... :D

22. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

one thing that I always do is to partiotn the hard drive -- I like to have two partitions, both with a system on it, that way I'm covered if one starts to misbehave --- one has a reduced system on it and the rescue apps.

23. nargot macrumors regular

Not that i know of, i have done my best not to touch real audio. Try a google search. There is some forms of spyware on a mac the most obvious is cookies, so i don't use them unless i have to and then i delete them. I also watch my outgoing traffic and notice sometimes (when no applications are running) that my computer connects via http to an ip... so i ban that ip, this could be a result of spyware.

24. gemio17 macrumors regular

1st-calibrate the battery!!! Let it fully run down and then fully recharge it to get the most out of the battery.

2nd- put on music/software and that stuff

3rd-get the radtech notebook screensaverz-it's soooo nice and protective :D
    and makes my new pb sleep well at night

25. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

uh...

get a program that automatically runs cron stuff for you. going into the terminal is kind of a pain (at least for me, i know some of you take personal pride in using the terminal). MacJanitor is good. I use Cocktail... i even paid for it, which is rare in itself. but yeah, you should take my advice as it will help in the long run... ALOT.