First Things to do on New MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by AppleAlfred, Nov 27, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Hi guys,

My brand new Macbook air is coming in tomorrow (hopefully), and I'm just wondering what you guys would recommend doing in order to get it fully set up and ready to go?

Also, I am going to buy office for mac, unless anyone can provide me with a cheaper, preferably free and compatible alternative. I need it to be compatible with microsoft word and such though.

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Turn it on.

This may be useful:

Helpful Information for Any Mac User
    Portables Fast Start: The New User's Guide to Apple Notebooks
    I prefer MS Office for Mac, for maximum compatibility with Windows users. If you don't want MS Office for some reason, there are many alternatives, such as iWork, NeoOffice, LibreOffice, OpenOffice, Google Docs, etc. Searching the forum will reveal dozens of threads discussing these various alternatives and the pros and cons of each, such as this small sampling:

3. macrumors 6502a

Here's what I did:

Power On
    Fill out the owner information
    Use it like any other computer that has existed for the past xx years, since it's nothing special and it can do anything that you can do on another computer...

4. Moderator

Agent-P

Staff Member

While there are free and paid alternatives to MS Office (as GGJstudios was kind enough to list), I prefer having MS Office for the best compatibility when working on group projects.

As for your other question about setup, have you gotten a system together to move your files over from your old computer? If you previously had a Mac, then you can use Time Machine to set up your new Mac exactly the way the old one was. If you previously had a Windows computer, Migration Assistant can help you move your files over in an organised manner.