First time caller," I need help"

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by macinwayne, Aug 17, 2004.

1. macinwayne macrumors newbie

Hi all, I'm new to this. I've had a mac for years, But this is the first time I wanted and needed to write a program. My friends are in a band and have very little money. They want to input their music into a G4. I want to assemble a interface (Firewire to Pro audio output). Then I'd need to write some sort of program to have the G4 understand it. My questions: What language would work... and... How do I do it?????
    I know this is a difficult exercise but any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Wayne

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Why don't you save yourself the trouble and get Garageband?

If it's your first program it's certainly biting off more than you can chew...

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I remember writing a script in BASIC about 20 years ago that made the cursor look like it was doing jumping jacks. That was a very good beginner's project. Writing a program like you've described from scratch--not a good beginner's project.

For recording, try Audacity. Then you'd need something for multitracking I imagine. Garageband wouldn't be a bad choice actually. Other programs are available with limited time demos--30 eays or so. Bias Peak/Deck are a good combination for recording and multitracking. Not dirt cheap, but available on demo.

4. Redboy macrumors member

Try Tracktion

http://www.mackie.com/products/tracktion/

There is a downloadable demo.

For $80, you can't go wrong. Then go out and buy Computer Music Magazine (another $14 or so) and you'll have a drum machine, a bass synth, and a sampler for VSTi's.

Next, go to http://www.smartelectronix.com/ and check out all of the free plugins from the various developers (the mda stuff is especially cool, IMO).

This should be a good start. You could also try out Cubase SE/LE and some other low-end stuff.

5. Redboy macrumors member

As far as a multi-channel firewire device for recording more than two tracks at a time - good luck building one, because they can be quite expensive. Don't underestimate the importance of good preamps and convertors.