First time Mac user...needs help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Racktacular, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Racktacular macrumors regular

I just bought my first mac (MB) and I am having trouble figuring out something that should be very easy. Can someone help me.

OK the first thing that I wanted to do was to download Firefox. I clicked the download link and it automatically started downloading. It didn't ask me where to save the file, so it automatically got saved on the Desktop.

1) How do you have it ask where to save the file before it downloads?
    2) I made a specific 'Downloads' folder and I wanted to move the file there. So I opened up the Mac HD to my newly created 'Downloads' folder and dragged the desktop icon there. Now I have two of them (one in my folder and one still on the desktop). How do I delete the desktop icon? It won't let me when I right click. I can delete the icon that I duplicated but not the original one.

3) Can some people give me some hints and suggestions on what is the best way to manage files on a Mac. This seems like the hardest transition.

TIA!

Rack

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You can choose a download destination in Safari Preferences (under the General tab).

What type of file were you trying to move?

3. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

4. Racktacular thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, one more thing that is bugging me.

I have a gmail account and when I log in with my name and password I usually just press TAB once to go to the "log in" button then hit ENTER. However, now when I hit tab it skips the log in button and goes to the address field. When I keep hitting TAB it always skips the log in button. It does this for all websites, not just for gmail.

I know these are very newbie-ish questions but would appreciate the help.

TIA

RAck

5. Racktacular thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I see that, but it doesn't give me the option to "always ask me". Will I have to go to preferences for each time I want to DL a file?

6. Racktacular thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I guess I should have been more clear. I see that Firefox will allow you to ask, but I originally DL'd firefox with Safari and it just DL'd on the desktop.

-> How can I move my current firefox icon that got DL'd on the desktop to a different folder? What I did was I made a new folder (DOWNLOADS) and dragged the icon there. However the desktop icon is still there. How can I delete that icon?

7. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

For gmail, I recommend downloading/installing Google notifier. It will sit in your menubar, autocheck your gmail account, and notify you when you receive an email.

8. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Just drag it to the trash, that will do.

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Hi Rack. I'm using Camino rather than Safari, but on my browser I just type my username and password and then press Enter once I finish putting in the password (i.e., don't press tab). It logs in just fine.

10. Racktacular thread starter macrumors regular

It won't let me drag it in the trash. The trash can changes to 'EJECT' when I drag something. When I open up the trash first it won't drag in there.

11. Racktacular thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I'll take a look at Camino. I actually figured out my TAB issue. There was a hidden preference that I found that allowed me to go through all "links" via TAB. Works fine now.

12. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Yes. Drag it on the trash (which will change to Eject) and let it eject. After that drag the file, once again, to the trash and it will be trashed.

13. Racktacular thread starter macrumors regular

Still need some advice on file management. If someone could help me out with that or give me a link that could help me...that would be terrific.

14. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

To install an application:

The download will appear in your desktop as a .dmg file, and this will open as a virtual disk drive. From there, drag the application icon into your applications folder. Now you can delete both the .dmg file and virtual disk drive.