first time macbook buyer and need advice on memory

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by j5uh, Mar 16, 2007.

1. j5uh macrumors member

2. Helianthus macrumors member

RAM prices have been going down so it really makes no sense to buy it now. Wait until you order your macbook before you buy your new RAM.

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

get the 2x1GB set. it doesn't make sense to buy two separate 1GB sticks, especially if that option is more expensive. enjoy your new machine whenever you get it :)

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The build to order option is currently $175 retail for the 2 GB upgrade on the MacBook. It's a little pricy but you won't end up with a pair of extra RAM sticks.

If a new MacBook comes out you'd more then likely be getting DDR2-800 instead.

5. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

You do know that one of the sticks in every Mac laptop (and some desktops) is soldered to the logic board... correct?

So you'll only be able to replace one of the sticks of RAM. Leaving your maximum at 1.5GB. Unless the MacBooks that I open up every day at work are flukes...

Daniel.

6. Stadsport macrumors regular

So you're telling him to
    1) Wait longer to recieve his MacBook (BTO)
    2) Pay $50 more for the same amount of RAM
    3) NOT have extra ram to be sold on eBay after the upgrade?

Yeah, great advice. :/

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You'd more then likely be opening an iBook or PowerBook 12". The MacBooks have two RAM slots that are user replaceable.

It's wonderful having the RAM around for a warranty issue. :rolleyes:

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Absolutely incorrect.

The only machines with soldered on RAM are the iBook series and the 12" Powerbook G4.

Please go back and check your facts: easy way is to go to the Apple store and observer that you can order the MacBook with either 2 x 512 Mb or 2 x 1 Gb. Then check the owners manuals available online where they show how to replace both RAM modules.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Fixed

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Thanks, forgot about that iMac G5 iSight puppy... was fixated on notebooks.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

As was I in my original post. :rolleyes:

12. Cue macrumors regular

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

u need to wait until u order the MB, who knows what might change, u don't want to buy RAM now and later find it not to be fit in future MB.

Price, no question, I would get the cheaper ones.

14. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Ah! Thanks for the info. Indeed, I've never COMPLETELY taken apart a MacBook, only the iBook and PBs. My bad!

Daniel.

15. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If you want 2 GB than the G.skill should be fine in the customer reviews a customer reports it as functioning in their Macbook.

As for a single one gigabyte I would shy away from the crucial memory since that model does not have any reviews saying that it works in a Macbook.

The question is whether you want 1GB plus whatever memory available on the other chip you get from Apple or if you want 2GB and ebay the pair that came with your Macbook. From there I would start from the cheapest memory I can find on Newegg and look at the customer reviews for reports from buyers stating whether or not that specific make and model of memory worked in their Mac. Then you can feel relatively assured that if you buy the memory it will work, though there is always the possibility that you could get a bum pair.

However, as posted by others wait until you purchase the Macbook. Since you said you are waiting for 10.5 to be released, there is always the possibility that Apple may update the Macbooks to use the 965 Northbridge and DDR2 800 memory.

As for my personal preference G.Skill has always worked well for me.