First time NEW mac buyer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SkyBell, Nov 6, 2006.

1. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I'm not exactly sure this is the right forum, but it seemed close enough :)

I'll be ordering a Mac Mini (High end version) in a few weeks, and had a few questions.

First off, I'll be doing some gaming in Windows, and I need to right click. No, I'm not some mac newbie who still thinks that macs have one button mouses, but I've heard the mighty mouse right click only works if your finger is off the left side of the mouse. Maybe I'm getting this confused with the MBP or something, but if this is true, that's not good. Therefore, should I justify spending an extra $80 to add a keyboard and mouse? Otherwise, I'll just buy the keyboard seperatly, and purchase one of those PS/2 to USB adaptors for my current mouse.

Secondly, because of the gaming I'll be doing, I was going to upgrade to 1 gig of RAM, but is it enough? I'll be playing Halo, Medal of Honor, etc. Generally late 90's to mid 00's games. Should I go with 2?

Last, is it worth it to buy AppleCare? Like if there is something wrong with the Mac, assumeing I bought AppleCare, could I just send it back, and they would replace it for free?

Thank you in advance

Cassie ♥

2. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

As far as the mouse issue goes, I wouldn't recommend the Might Mouse if you are going to be playing games.

I would suggest buy a nice, opticl, usb mouse with two buttons. Logitech makes some nice mice.

3. eyemacg5 macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

Bad Idea...

For a little more cash you could get this imac, which has a screen, mouse (mighty mouse,not great get a macally ilaser) and keyboard. The $1199 iMac has more ram, a 2.0ghhz core 2 duo processor built in isight and dedicated graphics. All these will benefit with gaming. It also has double the harddrive size and supports dual screen displays.

-jake

4. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

I considered the iMac, and you're right, it is a lot better, but there's something appealing about the mini...

Nah, seriously, I need small size. Hell, I'll be using a 13 inch monitor with this thing. I'm also gonna need to take it with me some places, but I don't need a laptop, nor do I have the cash for the specs I need.

5. fatandlazy11 macrumors member

fatandlazy11

I'd stay with the gig, it should be enough.

I assume you know the Mini's graphics are crap? :D

I understand what you mean by portability. Not all of us need computers that work while we are :D porting them.

6. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Ya, I know the graphics are less then average, but I'm not used to good graphics anyway. lol

So, anyone else have some advice?

7. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Personally, I find that Applecare is worth it. If something goes wrong later on, you don't have to worry about costs/fixing it yourself, you can just send it to Apple. You can buy it anytime before your year is up, so assuming you buy your Mini in November 06, you have till November 07 to buy the extended Applecare.

I would go with 2GB of RAM since you're gaming.

And definitely get a different mouse than the MM, it won't work for gaming at all.

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

The mighty mouse finger thing isn't as bad as it sounds... It's not like lifting your finger way up in the air...

Not like this:

IMG_2272.jpg

Like this:

IMG_2273.jpg

It just needs to be every so slightly released from the left button to right click.

I don't know how you'll find this for gaming though... but it's sort-of over-exaggerated in my opinion. I'm so used to it now and do it in such a quick motion.

As for the common problem of the balls not working after a while, they seem to all fail within the first year, after which Apple will just replace it for free (thats what they did for me)... I also get the perception that the ball problem only affects earlier mice, and not the latest ones.

9. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Mac Mini and games? Do they really go together? ;)

10. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

1. The Mighty mouse isn't good for gaming, in my opinion, exactly because of the right-click thing you're talking about. Occasionally I'll left click when I mean to right click, especially under pressure, and then I'll die :mad: Get an optical USB mouse that you like.

2. 1GB will be enough.

3. I go back and forth on Applecare. Your Mac comes with a one year warrenty, and Apple Care extends that two more years for a total of three. They won't automatically replace it, but they will fix it for free.

Enjoy your new Mac!

11. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Be sure - what about a MacBook new or better yet Refurb? Same portability and space savings. Mini seems due for an update soon anyway. It does nto appear to be a good value...perhaps a refurb Mini.

12. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Even better, a recently discontinued 1.5ghz Mini (which is identical to current models save for the processor) and then toss in your own Core 2 Duo, thus making it better than any current Mini offering.

13. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Thanks guys.

I decided to forget the keyboard and mouse because I like my current ones. (Though I will buy a keyboard sometime in the near future)

I'm gonna go with 2 gigs so I'll be able to go longer without an upgrade. I'm also gonna upgrade the Hard drive to 120 gigs, bringing the total to $1,149.

I'm on a budget (In fact, this goes over by about $100) So I decided not to get AppleCare. If something goes wrong, well, next time I'll buy AppleCare!

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The great thing about Apple Care is that you have a year to purchase it. So, if you have any problems the first year, I would highly recommend getting it before your year is up.