First Time Post & First Time Mac - Need Advice

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Buckeye Fan, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Buckeye Fan, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012

macrumors newbie

I would love your advice on the best computer for us. As the title says, this is our first Apple computer, and I'm hoping to keep it around 4-5 yrs.

Our PC mother board died (just turned 3), and we've decided to buy an Mac. I decided on an iMac because our monitor, keyboard and mouse are older (about 7 years). When I looked at a mini, by the time I buy the a new monitor, I might as well buy the iMac.

Right now, I have an out of the box, 21.5" iMac on order ($1299 model). The 27" is not even a consideration, as I don't have the room for it (roll-top desk has a height limitation). The Apple rep I spoke with swore the $1299 out of the box would be plenty for us. Here's how we use a computer:
    - mostly web browsing
    - very light photo editing
    - burn dvds
    - no simulation games (still think hubby and son will rely on Xbox for this)

So given what I've listed above, was I given good advice, and should I stick with my current order? In advance, I really appreciate your thoughts and advice!

2. macrumors regular

DarrenUK

Well you won't beable to burn DVDs unless you have purchased a separate DVD drive/burner. The new iMac has no DVD drive built in.

3. macrumors regular

I'd go with the Apple rep, sounds just great - enjoy!:)

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure did. Thanks for mentioning that!

5. macrumors 6502

The system should be fine for your needs. You'll need an external DVD drive, from Apple or some other vendor.

Buy an external USB 3.0 disk drive for backups. Plug it in and configure the Time Machine software.

Enjoy the new machine!

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much, everyone! The rep said my iMac should be here Tuesday, and I'm so excited considering we haven't had a working home computer since April! :eek: The iPads were working quite nicely until the kids started school and needed to print! Unfortunately, we don't have a wireless printer. :confused: Fortunately, those are relatively inexpensive these days. Have a happy holiday!

7. macrumors regular

DarrenUK

Enjoy your new iMac when it arrives.