First timer at MacWorld

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by PuterSaurus, Dec 14, 2003.

1. PuterSaurus macrumors member

MWSF will be my first expo since making the switch 18 months ago.

I received my pass in the mail yesterday which includes admission to the keynote. However, it's not a guarantee of admission b/c it's first-come first-served type pass.

What are the chances of not getting in to the keynote? At over $150 for the cheapest keynote ticke,t I hope I can get in to experience this event.

Also, any recommendations while in the SFO area?

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Who is doing the Keynote? Has Steve said he will be there?

3. PuterSaurus thread starter macrumors member

When I called to register about 4 weeks ago the rep on the phone told me it has always been SJ and no reason to believe it wouldn't be the same this year. But I've yet to see anything official yet. Last year it was announced earlier than this if I'm not mistaken.

4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Get there early, thats the only guaranteed way to get a good seat. Some people camp out. Mac Addicts will do anything to see Steve so be ready for an early start.
    My feeling is that he will probably be there MWSF is pretty important.

5. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Dont' worry, Steve will be giving it.;)

I've gone to these a few times in the past; even though the hall where the keynote takes place is HUGE, it's always nice to get as close as possible to the stage. But there are large screens hanging from the ceiling all over the place, so you won't miss any of the close up action if you're in the middle or the back.

The drill is...get to bed EARLY the night before...and get up EARLY the day of.

Seriously, I got up at 4:00 a.m. the day of the keynote and stumbled over to the auditorium at about 5:00. There's at least 100-300 people already there. Now, considering the seating capacity, that's not too bad. But, considering that this is an anniversary year (20th for the Macintosh, 25th for Apple) I expect this one to be VERY well attended.

It's usually colder that a you-know-what this time of year, so dress warm, bring a novel, lots of magazines, a camera, and your PowerBook. You'll be hanging around doing nothing out in the cold dark of the sidewalk for a looong time. But the payoff is sweeeeet.

Think about it...what other event in computing generates such Rock Star excitement? You'll have the time of your life, even though what I've described above DOES test ones' endurance a bit.