First trip to an Apple Store... wow.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lamina, May 27, 2006.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

This morning, my lovely dog chewed the power adapter connector for my sweetass PowerBook (which I've only had for about 3 months, btw), and there was nowhere around that sold an Apple power adapter.

Knowing that I would possibly be without my PB until Monday, I panicked and hopped in the car for the 1.5 hour drive to the Yorkdale Mall in Toronto.

I wasn't exactly sure on how to get there, but the directions on Apple's website were pretty good, I arrived in about an hour and a half. I wore my Apple Authorized Reseller shirt for effect.

Once I arrived at the mall, I scouted the Store out. I looked around for about 5 minutes, and there it was. The soft white glow of the Apple caught the corner of my eye. Grinning ear to ear, I approached the entrance with a giddiness I haven't felt since I was about 4.

Once inside, there it sat: the MacBook. Sheer excitement shot through every nerve in my body. There it was. The MacBook that everyone had been waiting for for so long, right in front of me, both in black and white. The kind salesperson grabbed me an adapter, and lead me up to the point of sale. After shelling out $100 for my new adapter (damn you, Mackenzie [dog]), I waded my way through an enormous amount of people to the shiny new MacBook.

On my way, the EXTRAVAGANT 30" Cinema Display caught my immediate attention, and I was soon Google Earthing on a SWEET new PowerMac. Once I sopped up the drool from the keyboard and changed my pantaloons, I made my way to a black MacBook.

What a beautiful machine. I had read some complaints about the new keyboard, but I think it is absolutely perfect. They keys feel almost the same as the G4 iBook, but are a bit more tactile and feel more firmly in place. The black one I was examining did have a flaw though, it seemed the top piece (where the keyboard is) wasn't secured to the bottom case. Anyway, it came time to examine the new magnetic closing mechanism. Absolutely astounding. My earlier doubts were quickly put to rest with the quick (and book-like) *snap* the screen made when the magnets caught hold of each other. Baffled, I examined its underside, its weight, and its overall beauty. I didn't even mind the glossy screen.

Some of the Apple reps caught me in utter ecstasy, and commented on my shirt. They were a friendly bunch who made me feel very welcome.

In short, my experience at the Apple Store was more than I imagined it would be. What a beautifully laid out store. Also, kudos on the Bose headsets for the iPod demos. Those things are like $200.

Can't wait till my dog chews something again so I can make another trip to the Apple Store. :D

2. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Ahh.. good times. Reminds me of my first visit to an Apple Store.. Regent Street in London back when I was 'only' 12 (aka last summer). The sheer size baffled me and the dual 30" ACDs made me almost collapse. Good fun.

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yes, my first (and all subsequent trips) to a Apple Store was wonderful.

Being surrounded in a room full of Macs & iPods...P-R-I-C-E-L-E-S-S! :D

4. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Another bonus: None of the employees hover around me if I'm alone to make sure I'm not breaking anything. :)

5. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

That is a bonus! I work in sales and the manager forces us to approach customers constantly, even if we know they're just browsing. At the Apple store, they wait for you to come to them with questions...I know some people would rather have the salespeople come to them, but I prefer browsing myself, letting the hardware speak for itself, and only then asking questions (if I have any...)

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I have noticed this as well. They seem to be there when you need/want them and gone when you do not. :)

7. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Every time I go to the Apple Store, I go right to the PowerMac G5 with the 30 inch screen. It absolutely amazes me how big that screen is. I feel like buying the damn thing but I realize I don't even have a dollar. I'm probably going to stop by tommorow or this monday just to checkout the MacBook's and play around with the G5 again.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Do you enjoy torturing yourself FF_productions?! :eek: ;) :D

9. caralck macrumors member

I know how you feel. I get a warm fuzzy feeling every time I near an apple store. Even when I have no intention of buying anything, I go in and drool over all the things I would buy had I been born into a richer family. Of course now they recognize me as the person who keeps planning to buy a MBP and hasn't yet. It's almost pathetic now. I think I need to go to the other apple store in town so I can drool there. For a quick fix, I go to compusa to play with the MBP there. It's not the same as playing in the apple store but it helps with the withdrawals of not being in an apple store for more than 2 weeks (it's 30 min away).

10. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

More like P-R-I-C-E-Y. I've never been in an Apple store and not bought anything.

11. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Yep!! I love playing with machines that I'll never be able to afford for about a 100 years!!

12. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Wow, I wish that I was that close in proximity to an Apple store. :)

Sadly, I am about 1.25 hours away from the closest one. :(

13. jesusphreak macrumors member

I don't really like going to Apple stores. They are always located in extremely affluent areas, and you get the feeling that you aren't good (rich) enough for the people around there. The one I visited today was located between Nordstrom's and Neiman Marcus. lol.

Apple is probably the farthest thing from the "people's PC." Which is unfortunate because it is so great.

14. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

If you own a Mac, you are good enough for those people.

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

LOL :D I often have the same problem. :)

1st visit- ordered a Power Mac G5 (after the visit- but was convinced, even further, on the need to switch while in the store! :) ).

2nd visit- came home with Bose Companion 3 speakers.

3rd visit- came home with a MacBook Pro.

etc... :) :) :)

16. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

The first time I went to the Apple Store was the first time I bought an Apple computer. In fact, it was last Wednesday. :eek:

The Apple Store by far was the nicest store I've perhaps ever been in. It was very clean, the displays of the computers (both Macbook and Macbook Pro) were well shown (they were arranged on the left side of the store) and I think the desktops were arranged on the right. Already knowing the issues with the Macbook/Macbook Pro, I decided to get one anyways. I've been lucky that my laptop hasn't been unbearably hot (it's been about as hot as my other notebooks; A dell inspiron 600m, Inspiron 1000, and Toshiba Satellite (don't ask me what number cuz I don't know).

Though I'm a bit disheartened at the loss of battery life while running applications like QuietMBP, it doesn't really matter as I hardly ever require four hours of battery life anyways. :S (I've also noticed that it stops when I run Photo Booth).

Anyways, I decided to buy one anyways. I'm a college student, so learning about a student discount was a relief. $200 dollars came off an otherwise $2000 dollar notebook. Deciding I wanted something to back up my investment other than a one year limited warranty, I bought the CompleteCare plan, also discounted ($100 dollars off). The store was well kept (incredibly clean, unusual for computer stores-have you been in CompUSA lately?) and seeing the Macbook Pro in reality was different. It was weird though seeing the screen sit below the actual keyboard (something much, MUCH different from Windows computers). Anyways.

17. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

My too - I love opening up a million different programs & widgets and then just playing with Expose & Dashboard on that gigantic screen!

18. iShane macrumors 6502a

Haha. Same here. I much rather buy someting in the store than online.

19. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

You guys are so lucky that there is an Apple store even an hour and a half by you.... Mine is at least 4 hours away:eek: :mad: . I wish they would build one on Canal Street in New Orleans(Canal street is the big shopping street). Is there anyway to petition Apple to build a store, or is it all to their discretion?

20. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Never feel like that, people don't real judge you on what Mac you have, it more your option on Mac, Mac OS X and stuff like that, and even then they only "dis" you if you walk in and say

"iPod sukzzzz CREATive for Lifezzzz"

Mac arez the sukzzz becuzzz they don't play music or use Windowzzzz"

21. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

i can honestly be thankful there's not an apple store closer than 288 miles away from me in Dallas (great credit... no money). I've only been in one, the one in the Millenia mall in Orlando, and walked out with an external HD and some iMovie plug-ins (and that was on my highschool senior trip). Unfortunately though, there's no where for me to see the 17" MBP except for CompUSA still 135 miles away in Jackson, so i'm ordering one of those on "blind" faith. Can't wait though.

22. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

Where are you located?

23. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

Sadly... New Orleans:(

24. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

25. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Good!