Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chepistolas

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2005
Chicago
So I have been working on this site for the last week. I still have to add links to the page (all the orange text) but the overall site is pretty much done, unless you guys think otherwise. This is my first site but I need to hear what you guys think, don't go easy on me. :)

* I have only tested this on one Windows machine since I have a smorgasbord of Macs in the house. I only know of one bug which is the navigation bar to the right, it displays in between the header png and the white background.

Thanks again guys

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
change the yellow color, its not really popping out against the green.

needs to be brighter

the email links do no work

id change your sidebar div to have an actual height attribute so you dont have to put nbsp to make it the right distance above the lower divs.

and on each page i think the sidebar's title should align, they do not right now. when you go from one page to the next the titles move up and down in relation to eachother.

very good beginning.

adom

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2006
UK
Check the XHTML aswell.

You have links to the W3C validator....which says:

"This page is not Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict!"

Not a good outcome from those links!

Looks clean tho! Keep up the good work

DMBGuru

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2007
Tempe, AZ
Looks good, but still needs work.

Viewing in Firefox on a Windows machine the formatting is all screwed up on the right hand side and the links at the top.

Make sure your design is compatible on a wide variety of machines because chances are someone is going to have a different setup than you do.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
Looks good, but still needs work.

Viewing in Firefox on a Windows machine the formatting is all screwed up on the right hand side and the links at the top.

Make sure your design is compatible on a wide variety of machines because chances are someone is going to have a different setup than you do.
Confirmed link yuckiness in Firefox for Mac.

I would design the heading to fit on one line and not spill over; to read one extra word on a new line (in this case fraternity) is distracting (and might be browser-specific, idk).

And check spelling; "lead wach other"? I know you meant "each" but attention to details gets you further.

chepistolas

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2005
Chicago
Thanks

@After G
I didn't have that problem of the "fraternity" word spilling over until I made the browser's standard font size bigger. In the browsers that I worked the headline took one line. How do I go about fixing the way it looks if someone has a bigger standard text size in their browsers if I use the em size. Currently that header has a 1.9 em size.

#container h2 {
border-bottom: 1px dotted #cdc5a5;
overflow: hidden;
font-family: "Trebuchet MS";
font-size: 1.9em;
margin: 0;
}

@DMBGuru
I understand, I am actually in the process of looking for these windows browser's hacks.
@Adom
I was pretty sure they worked before, ill make sure they work now. thanks for the heads up.
@Sdashiki
Great tip, I will fix sidebar's height.

@ All, thanks for your help. I will make the yellow pop up more, fix the headers in the #sidebar and fix the email links! One question though, I read somewhere that it is better to use em when working with text, but my navigation and all the headers really screw up when some one does [apple + ] or the equivalent in a windows machine. Should I just use the px units instead of em?
Thanks again for your help.

adom

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2006
UK
I prefer to use %'s. But that is just me trying to make it work with IE's font size options.

ddekker

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2006
Michigan
I'm horrible..lol... it screams use wordpress for this site..lol.. sorry, if youre doing it just to lear, great job (minus the link problems) but otherwise it looks good and works pretty good, I'll try and check it on a PC Monday from work, IE works farrrrrrrrrr different than Safari so I design to IE 100% of the time being as 95 % of the people use IE..lol.. let the flames begin as I said 95%...lol.. I have a site devoted to apple and only promote it on apple sites yet the percentage of visitors is still around 40% IE... must be some closet IE users around..

good luck, and good job so far.. keep plugging away

DD

chepistolas

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2005
Chicago
Thanks ddekker. I wanted to do this using wordpress, but the fraternity doesn't know how to manage anything like this and I don't want to be called 24/7 to show them how to post an entry. I figured the less they have to touch it the better :) ( I know. . I am evil).

For those of you that critiqued my first design, the one with the white background, I changed the design greatly. I would be grateful if you would give me more feedback. Thanks again, Cheers!

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Overall, looks pretty good. Only thing I'd consider changing is the Home|About Us| bar to something bigger or more prominent like you had before. It was hard for me to locate it upon visiting the site the 2nd time; that should be one of the biggest things on your site right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.