Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
I think I read that it also only affects phones using the Symbiam series 60 system, or something like that.

gallagb

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
IN
what's next

Virus' in Bluetooth PDA?

silly virus makers...

gosh- can you imagine a virus in your bluetooth mouse or keyboard?
suddently your keyboard would be typing w/o u doing anything!

jeepers that'd be kinda amuzing

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
gallagb said:

My wife swears that kind of stuff happens now... :rolleyes:

Me: "what did you do now?"

Her: "honest, I didn't do anything, I don't know what happened, it just did it all by itself..."

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
gallagb said:
Virus' in Bluetooth PDA?

silly virus makers...

gosh- can you imagine a virus in your bluetooth mouse or keyboard?

While I doubt your post was serious, rest assured that you needn't worry about mouse and keyboard viruses. There's no intelligence there, nothing to store programs, nothing to run them - beyond the simple stuff needed to make a connection and send things like "mouse button pressed" or "key 'S'" released.

Of course, sooner or later, mice and keyboards might very well start to get 'smart' (show different LCD character sets on the keys, etc.), so this might actually be an issue later on.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
While I doubt your post was serious, rest assured that you needn't worry about mouse and keyboard viruses. There's no intelligence there, nothing to store programs, nothing to run them - beyond the simple stuff needed to make a connection and send things like "mouse button pressed" or "key 'S'" released.

sorry, but that is incorrect, we have documented proof of a virus transferring itself to the ROM in printers, certain keyboards, routers etc etc, even the boot ROM in some PC's, so that no matter what you did, it would always be there, unless you basically replaced the motherboard.

its scary stuff

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
big said:
sorry, but that is incorrect, we have documented proof of a virus transferring itself to the ROM in printers, certain keyboards, routers etc etc, even the boot ROM in some PC's, so that no matter what you did, it would always be there, unless you basically replaced the motherboard.

its scary stuff

How do you transfer a virus into Read Only Memory?

And where might I find the proof?

Routers, PCs, even maybe printers, I would believe - but RAM not ROM. Keyboards? I'd need proof.

Now, if you mean "inadvertently got burned into ROM at the factory", that makes some sense. But ROMs aren't going to be aquiring virii in the wild.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.