Fitbit Announces New $200 Smart Wearable 'Blaze' With Touchscreen Display

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 5, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

During CES this year, wearable manufacturer Fitbit is showing off the newest addition to its lineup of fitness-focused devices with the $199.95 "Fitbit Blaze". The new product is the first Fitbit with a full color LCD display that includes a touchscreen for users to interact with various activity tracking features and notifications.

[​IMG]

Similar to the Apple Watch, the Blaze lets users pop out the case and alternate between different bands and styles for a more customized experience. But, in line with the company's other products, the Blaze has an activity and exercise focus with no other third-party apps available on the device.

The wearable will be able to track daily sleep, exercises, steps, and calories burnt, and also includes FitStar workouts that guide users through regimens with step-by-step instructions. All collected data from the Blaze will be able to be shared onto an iOS, Android and Windows Phone device, as the company's previous products have allowed.

[​IMG]

The activity tracker will automatically begin detecting when its wearer is beginning activities like running or playing sports thanks to Fitbit's "SmartTrack" feature, taking some of the hassle out of gathering exercise data for Fitbit customers. The Blaze doesn't have GPS (although it can pull data from a connected smartphone), but includes a heart rate sensor and music controls.

Fitbit says the device will give its users access to the traditional notification settings seen in most smart wearables nowadays, including calls, texts, and calendar alerts on the brand new touchsreen display. The company also promises five days of battery life in total for the Blaze. The new wearable is available in small, large, and extra-large sizing options and, like the Apple Watch, can't be used when swimming.

Those interested can pre-order the Fitbit Blaze for $199.95 in Black, Blue, and Plum. A handful of accessories are also up for pre-order for anyone wishing to add variety to the Blaze, including a $129.95 Metal Links + Frame stainless steel band, $99.95 Leather Band + Frame, and the $29.95 traditional Classic Band in the three previously mentioned colors.

Article Link: Fitbit Announces New $200 Smart Wearable 'Blaze' With Touchscreen Display

2. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

3. WRXHokie macrumors regular

WRXHokie

4. Bray-dog macrumors newbie

Bray-dog

I'm a big fan of Fitbit products....but this is awful looking.

5. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68000

OldSchoolMacGuy

Did you read the part about how it's focused on fitness and does NOT run any other apps?

6. GadgetBen macrumors 6502

GadgetBen

Apple Watch 1 makes this obsolete, let alone Apple Watch 2 in a few months.

7. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Pre-Ordered. If it's half as good as my FitBit Charge HR has been, I'll be impressed.

8. sza macrumors 6502

Starting at 200 dollars is reasonable.

9. Bray-dog macrumors newbie

Bray-dog

10. bobob macrumors 68020

bobob

"The new wearable is available in small, large, and extra-large sizing options"

I bet the small version will be larger than the 42mm Apple Watch.

11. HoosBruce macrumors 6502

Looks absolutely awful. I'm sure it works well, but gosh it that an eye sore.

12. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I love how people on this forum automatically reply "Looks like ****" "worthless" as Apple sheep would. Trust me - you want other companies to succeed to create competition. If Apple doesn't have competition, they won't be pushed to create amazing products.

tl;dr - You want Fitbit and others to succeed.

13. Pakaku macrumors 65816

Pakaku

Still looks better than Apple's bong

14. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

if AW 2 does not have more dedicated fitness features and a better battery life i'm sold on this. Even the Microsoft Band 2 is better than AW. 5 day battery life, I can barely get 12hrs if I use the Workout feature for more than 2hrs.

Fitness watches are not about style to all the ones complaining... people who are dedicated to fitness care more about functionality.

15. sza macrumors 6502

I am glad it doesn't run other apps so I will not get distracted. It is same as reading on my kindle, I don't want to get distracted while I am focusing on reading a book. And running apps on such small display is just ridiculous and looks more like a toy.

16. utyankee macrumors newbie

utyankee

Per their normal sizing, all that would change is the band size. Not the watch face

17. convergent macrumors 65816

convergent

Agree that the styling is pretty terrible by my taste. They also dropped the GPS feature from it, which was one of the things that sports users complain about with the Apple Watch. So it seems that they've made an ugly watch that doesn't do much of what the Apple Watch does, and the one place they had an advantage they dropped that feature.

I'm sure a lot of people will buy it because they like FitBit and all, but its not really a competitor with the Apple Watch in my assessment.

18. ibri macrumors newbie

19. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I have an Apple Watch and still am considering the FB Charge HR. How are you impressed with it if I might ask?

20. SuperHamster macrumors member

SuperHamster

Product name doesn't begin with lowercase 'i', doesn't come in beautiful white box with embossed big silver apple. No buy.

21. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

It looks very wide, but it may look better in person. I like it, I only use my apple watch for notifications and fitness, it does both and it's cheaper, not to mention the 5 day battery life!

22. JohnApples macrumors 6502a

It seems like Fitbit is Apple's only real competition (in the wearables category). Good for them. Let's see what Apple does in response.

23. GadgetBen macrumors 6502

GadgetBen

I totally agree. However, I think Fitbit should have taken the time to develop something better. Something that the Apple Watch doesn't have, such as adding GPS for workouts or making it waterproof.

They also could have made it look nicer!

24. Cuban Missles macrumors 68040

Cuban Missles

Fitbits have always been great. they pretty much own their space - fitness tracking specific bands. I hope this is a good extension for them, being careful not to go to far into Apples space. I am not fond of the aesthetics, however.

25. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

You really think so?

image.jpeg