Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fitbit today announced the "Fitbit Alta," a new device in its fitness-focused wearable lineup that the company aims to be the intersection between personalized style and in-depth activity tracking. As with all Fitbits, the Alta will track a user's daily activities, exercise, and sleep, but now the band includes "Reminders to Move," which will push notifications to the wrist when you've been stationary for an extended period, similar to the Apple Watch's standing notifications.

Fitbit-Alta-2.jpg

Thanks to Reminders to Move, the Alta will keep users active by encouraging the completion of a "mini step goal" of 250 steps every hour, or about 2-3 minutes of walking time. Additionally, the new band automatically tracks workouts without needing to tell the Alta when one has begun or ended, and all of your activity data syncs to the companion Fitbit app to keep watch over daily and weekly exercise goals.

Fitbit's new wearable also has a few band accessories to choose from, including a $29.95 Classic Band, $59.95 Leather Band, and $99.95 Metal Bracelet. Each band surrounds the Alta's OLED display, which lets users tap through succinct readouts of their daily calorie burn, sleep stats, and recent notifications. The screen can also be customized with unique clock faces, similar to the company's "Blaze" activity tracker, which it announced last month.

Fitbit-Alta-3.jpg
The Classic Band (left), Leather Band (middle), and Metal Bracelet (right)​

The Alta will be able to support call, text, and calendar notifications through vibrating alerts, and should last up to 5 days on one battery life, according to Fitbit. Although it won't be released until sometime in March, those interested can pre-order the Fitbit Alta for $129.95 starting today on the company's website. The Classic Bands will be available at launch, but the Metal Bracelet has a summer release window and the Leather Band is "coming soon."

Article Link: Fitbit Announces New 'Alta' Wearable With Apple Watch-Like Move Reminders

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
I have to say, I’m impressed that the market manages to support so many different fitbit models, but they are clearly doing something very, very right.

Reactions: 69Mustang

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Clearly they are doing something right because they've got sales. I see far more Fitbits out in public than all other activity trackers combined. I just can't bring myself to use a band that requires a recharge even every five days. I've been spoiled by the Withings watch, which runs on a standard watch battery which lasts for about 8 months and tracks steps, sleep, running, and swimming. It doesn't have any phone notifications but I'm not sure I want that anyway.

Rychy

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
I have a Fitbit Charge, I'm not a fan of it's design. My first one fell apart in less than a year and I'm betting the replacement they gave me will fall apart the same way. Same thing happened to my friend's Charge.

The Alta looks better simply because the interchangeable bands will take care of the problem with the Charge. The Charge's band covers part of the tracker and with use the band starts to separate from it. The Alta also looks a little smaller than the Charge.

I'm hoping Apple will release a "watch" in the future that's more like a fitness band. I'm really only concerned with the health functions which is why I currently have a Fitbit.

Last edited:

UhFive

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
Texas
This is pretty much exactly what I think a wearable should be...send me notifications and track my movement. I don't need/want all the extra apps of a full Apple Watch, but I will definitely be waiting til the new watch is announced before pulling the trigger on one of these. I'm too much of a fanboy.
My wife however, well I might as well preorder her one of these.

Reactions: Stella

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Clearly they are doing something right because they've got sales. I see far more Fitbits out in public than all other activity trackers combined. I just can't bring myself to use a band that requires a recharge even every five days. I've been spoiled by the Withings watch, which runs on a standard watch battery which lasts for about 8 months and tracks steps, sleep, running, and swimming. It doesn't have any phone notifications but I'm not sure I want that anyway.
Yeah, the Withings Activité watch looks pretty nice. I wished Apple had a similar concept of a normal watch with tracking but I do see the point of the apps and the need for a digital display. I am looking forward to seeing the V2 and if Apple can make it waterproof, then I might get one.

Reactions: Oblivious.Robot

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
So this doesn't do heart rate? Maybe I overlooked that part in the article.

The majority of HR sensors on fitness trackers are junk / unreliable. They certainly don't do 24/7 monitoring - that would devour battery life. Your not missing anything. Better off buying a dedicated HR monitor while your exercising, sport etc.

To Clarify - 24/7 monitoring I mean constant HR monitoring not just resting heart rate / a few samples every hour.

Last edited:
Reactions: acctman

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA
I am looking forward to seeing the V2 and if Apple can make it waterproof, then I might get one.

Um... the Apple Watch is water proof...
I wear it in the shower and have gone swimming with it multiple times and I've still yet to have any issues and I've had mine since day one.

Someyoungguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
I wear it in the shower and have gone swimming with it multiple times and I've still yet to have any issues and I've had mine since day one.

Good luck with that, but not everyone will want to take the same chances you're taking, especially when Apple explicitly warns against them.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
The majority of HR sensors on fitness trackers are junk / unreliable. They certainly don't do 24/7 monitoring - that would devour battery life. Your not missing anything. Better off buying a dedicated HR monitor while your exercising, sport etc.

The Basis Peak does 24/7 and is very reliable and battery latest about 3 days. The issue with basis is they don't like to share your data.

Reactions: Stella

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
I have to say, I’m impressed that the market manages to support so many different fitbit models, but they are clearly doing something very, very right.

I don't think the market does. There's a reason they release a new FitBit model every couple months and kill off the old. Can you imagine how adoption would look if Apple released a new iPad every 3-4 months?

Seems a strange strategy. Also sucks for the consumer as it means they only release updates for the product for a short bit before killing future updates and moving on to the next model.

"Reminders to Move" is nothing new. Other fitness trackers have had this functionality previously, and prior to the Apple Watch.

Was gonna say, this is new? The Jawbone UP had these reminders since it was introduced in 2011.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Yeah, I heard few people doing it but I don't want to take the risk. Plus once they make it waterproof and warrant it, there is a good chance to see swimming apps coming to life.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
The problem with the Apple Watch is that it's trying to do too much. The Fitbit is a "Fitness" tracker then a watch. The Apple Watch wants to be a "smartwatch", "fitness tracker", and "stylish everyday watch" ... to be honest its halfassing at all of them. It comes up short as a fitness tracker lacking a lot of the common features. It's pretty much a glorified pedometer. Smartwatch, comes up short half the features are spotty at best...Notifications don't always come in or come in for half your emails... answering calls (i've given up on that feature)... stylish, sorry but the AppleWatch is far from being gorgeous work of art. It's kind of ugly, Apple will hype anything to be beautiful. Heck they can take that ugly iPhone 6/s charge case and spin it around in a video and say its a work of art and people will believe them.

Apple needs to take the AppleWatch Sports and make it a fitness only watch... forget about all the apps and pack it with longer battery life, and fitness features other than walking and running related. People use weights at the gym Apple. The non-sports AppleWatch can have all the useless smartphone features that rarely work.

the Fitbit Alta actually looks better than the AW and i'm not hating, I own an AW.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
These things actually look pretty awesome. If Apple made something like this I'd definitely consider it.

bdrake47

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2012

Fitbit today announced the "Fitbit Alta," a new device in its fitness-focused wearable lineup that the company aims to be the intersection between personalized style and in-depth activity tracking. As with all Fitbits, the Alta will track a user's daily activities, exercise, and sleep, but now the band includes "Reminders to Move," which will push notifications to the wrist when you've been stationary for an extended period, similar to the Apple Watch's standing notifications.

Fitbit-Alta-2.jpg

Thanks to Reminders to Move, the Alta will keep users active by encouraging the completion of a "mini step goal" of 250 steps every hour, or about 2-3 minutes of walking time. Additionally, the new band automatically tracks workouts without needing to tell the Alta when one has begun or ended, and all of your activity data syncs to the companion Fitbit app to keep watch over daily and weekly exercise goals.

Fitbit's new wearable also has a few band accessories to choose from, including a $29.95 Classic Band, $59.95 Leather Band, and $99.95 Metal Bracelet. Each band surrounds the Alta's OLED display, which lets users tap through succinct readouts of their daily calorie burn, sleep stats, and recent notifications. The screen can also be customized with unique clock faces, similar to the company's "Blaze" activity tracker, which it announced last month.

Fitbit-Alta-3.jpg

The Classic Band (left), Leather Band (middle), and Metal Bracelet (right)

The Alta will be able to support call, text, and calendar notifications through vibrating alerts, and should last up to 5 days on one battery life, according to Fitbit. Although it won't be released until sometime in March, those interested can pre-order the Fitbit Alta for $129.95 starting today on the company's website. The Classic Bands will be available at launch, but the Metal Bracelet has a summer release window and the Leather Band is "coming soon."

Article Link: Fitbit Announces New 'Alta' Wearable With Apple Watch-Like Move Reminders[/QUOT
[doublepost=1454573516][/doublepost]Would have expected MR to point out that Fitbit products do NOT share data with  Health app at all.

Reactions: Mad Mac Maniac

neongrau

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2014
[doublepost=1454573516][/doublepost]Would have expected MR to point out that Fitbit products do NOT share data with  Health app at all.

But at least there are 3rd party apps on the app store that can just pull the data from fitbit's servers and push them into Health app.
[doublepost=1454577079][/doublepost]
So this doesn't do heart rate? Maybe I overlooked that part in the article.

Nope it does not. I would have been interested in the Alta as my Charge HR after 10 months is so worn down i doubt it'll last through the year. And the Alta has replacable bands. But without HR i'm not interested. Way too much money for a step counter.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007

Disagree. For general non-medical purposes my AW is accurate enough (as are many other similar devices). This IMO is far from "junk". For me it's a nice data point when I do cardio.

“We pitted the Apple Watch against our highest-rated heart rate monitor here at Consumer Reports,” says electronics editor Glenn Derene. “Wearing both, our testers hit the treadmill — first walking slowly, then a little faster, then a jog back to a walk.”

The test found there “were no significant differences” between Apple Watch and the dedicated heart rate monitor, with both reporting similar readings.

If a user's heart rate monitoring is critical/health related, then like you say get something better.

Stupidchair

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2015

Fitbit Charge HR monitors heartrate 24/7. One charge lasts 4-5 days

neongrau

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2014

I think what the critics mean is the general way those optical HR measuring sensors work is sometimes very slow. They actually do sample 24/7 but still just sample. When you do interval training they fail to recognize the quick succession of peaks and valleys in your heart rate. But for things like running or cycling they work good enough.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
The Basis Peak does 24/7 and is very reliable and battery latest about 3 days. The issue with basis is they don't like to share your data.

Fitbit Charge HR monitoring accuracy is so-so:
http://www.wareable.com/fitbit/fitbit-charge-hr-review
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/02/fitbit-charge-review.html

To Clarify - when I meant 24/7, I mean constant HR monitoring. Which many do not do, including the Charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.