Fix for battery drain

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by happypappy, Jun 12, 2013.

1. macrumors member

I too had the major battery drain after installing ios 7 beta 1. It was the worst drain I've ever noticed with all iPhones and all ios versions.

I was in a rush and set up ios 7 using a backup. That was the big mistake. Especially with major software updates, it's best to update and start from a fresh copy of the OS and set up phone as new a device.

Today I restored to factory and installed ios 7 fresh. Then instead of using any backups, I "set up phone as new". Then go into iTunes and manually add your contacts, music, apps, etc. it may take a little longer but it's well worth the time.

After you are finished setting up your phone the way you want it, then go ahead and take a backup of everything.(iCloud and iTunes)

I went the entire day with the same battery life I had on ios 6.

Let's hear your results!

2. macrumors 6502

I have just redone the upgrade using the Update method, The phone was set up as a new phone. I then restored the phone settings and data using backups.

That did not solve the battery problem. With the device completely switched off but playing music, I could get just 4 hours of usage. With the older iOS I could get close to 40 hours. That means iOS7's battery usage for music playback is 10 times faster.

I'm now going ahead to try out your suggestion, which is to NOT restore the settings and data from the backup, and see how it goes. I have a 64GB iPhone 5 BTW.

3. macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I'm curious to see what others say about this, and if their experience is similar.

I don't want to lose all of my apps and settings and everything... A bit of a pain to set up. Then there's app data and all that.

What about setting up as new, then restoring an iCloud backup? I wonder how that world differ. When I did mine, I backed up to my laptop and then restored it after installing iOS 7.

4. macrumors 603

I started off by restoring in the first place. Battery is still slightly under what I got in iOS 6.

5. macrumors 6502

I can always go back to restore from a backup later on if it does not make any difference anyway, so I think we should try out not restoring from a backup and see the effect on battery life.

6. macrumors 6502a

tmanto02

Could it be the same situation as when ios6 came out? upgrade rather than setup as new phone often resulted in poor battery life.

To solve it you had to reset network settings.

I reset all settings just to be safe when I upgraded to ios7 and haven't noticed reduced battery life at all.

Hope this helps! :)

7. macrumors 6502

I'm doing a full phone reset now. This time I will not restore from a backup but will instead manually re-pick the application and music I want to bring across, and see what happen.

8. macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Hmm very good point... Might try that tomorrow then.

9. macrumors regular

wouldn't a person loose all his app settings, games progress and more though?

10. macrumors 65816

JoEw

I am sure the refinements of the beta will result in better battery life.

11. macrumors 6502

Another person posted that after he upgraded with the Update method, he had atrocious battery life. To fix that he went to the phone's setting and reset setting only. This did not affect the data he already had on the phone. This alone fixed the battery life problem.

I'm going to try that now.

12. macrumors regular

13. macrumors regular

I'm a little bit confused with the battery life reports. I'm running it on a fifth gen iPod touch, clean install. I'm getting (guessing) a third more battery life on iOS 7, than I was on 6. It's been a noticeable improvement for me.

14. macrumors 6502

Can you provide a screen capture of your usage please? I'm getting about 1/10 of what I used to get in music playback, and about 1/2 to 1/4 of what I normally get for other usage.

15. macrumors regular

16. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

i just did this as well, so we will see what happens. next thing i will try will be a full restore, then set up as new.

right now im at 55% with 3h 58min usage, 9h 38min standby. this is where i would usually be at 70% on ios6.

17. thread starter macrumors member

18. macrumors regular

When you restore your phone, does it go back to IOs 6.1.4 or stay on 7? This goes for UDID activation method and dev i'm curious if either one is different

19. macrumors 68030

BvizioN

I have used that method just from an hour ago.
    Still early to say if it have effected the battery life but one thing I have noticed is that since the upgrade to iOS 7 the phone have been really hot but after doing that trick it seem to be just as normal as before.

20. macrumors 65816

kmj2318

Uh oh, i just tried doing a clean install, and I get the message that my device is not registered as part of the developer program :(

21. macrumors P6

Did you do it via the Restore or Upgrade option?

22. macrumors 6502

I turned off background app refresh and automatic updates for apps and my battery life increased double. That's whats draining everyone's battery

23. macrumors 68000

Bacong

my battery life is worse, but not that much.

----------

haha, no. Unless that's a lot of music.

24. macrumors regular

Day one of iOS 7, terrible battery life, however, I did do a lot more playing and looking around then normal. After all it was all new!

Day two, purposely did not mess with it nearly as much, battery life still better but not great. later in the day I did a "Reset all Settings".

Day three, unplugged the phone at 7:00am and as of 3:30pm I was only down to 48%. Which was about what I was normally at with iOS 6. I did show it off to a few people at work and some normal facebooking, twitter, and texting. Pretty much just a normal day on the iPhone.

So as a suggestion before you go loosing all your app data and everything, try just doing a "reset all setting", and see what happens.

Just my 2 cents...

25. eclipseblur954, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013

macrumors regular

I did a restore, but did a backup from my iCloud backup.

Had terrible battery life at first, but the culprits weren't from the iCloud backup.

Disable automatic background updates, automatic background app refreshes, and disable the GPS for passbook (for some reason it kept the gps running the entire time for passbook, which was destroying my battery).

Also be sure to close out of apps running in the background, they tend to be a cpu hog right now.