Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jutte64

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
Fort Recovery , OH
I did a restore, but did a backup from my iCloud backup.

Had terrible battery life at first, but the culprits weren't from the iCloud backup.

Disable automatic background updates, automatic background app refreshes, and disable the GPS for passbook (for some reason it kept the gps running the entire time for passbook, which was destroying my battery).

That's why I suggest resetting your setting, I had an app that was keeping GPS on as well, but not any more. Could be a quicker fix.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
My friend has IOS7 and his 5 has great battery life, my 5 has awful battery life with IOS7 lol we are talking 80% drain in less than 2 hours. I might try reseting all settings or something. Kinda annoying no one seems to have been able to to find a reason.

eclipseblur954

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
My friend has IOS7 and his 5 has great battery life, my 5 has awful battery life with IOS7 lol we are talking 80% drain in less than 2 hours. I might try reseting all settings or something. Kinda annoying no one seems to have been able to to find a reason.

Try These?

Disable automatic background updates, automatic background app refreshes, and disable the GPS for passbook (for some reason it kept the gps running the entire time for passbook, which was destroying my battery).

Also be sure to close out of apps running in the background, they tend to be a cpu hog right now.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I don't think this can really be called a "fix". The reality is that the majority of people coming to iOS 7, either by way of upgrade or new device, are going to restore from an iCloud backup.

I have confidence that they will iron this out over the course of the beta period, so don't get me wrong.

schizbomb

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Texas
I fixed my battery overheat and drain issue but letting it die, plugging it in until it came on (showing 27%) let it drain again, plugged again until it came on (this time showing 9%), let it drain, plugged it in again until it turned on (this time showing 7%) and then one last cycle when it showed the normal 5%.

Been fine all day since. Same battery life as iOS 6.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
For those of you that did "reset all settings", what did you do after that? Do you have Location Services on or off now?

I did a settings reset, and location was off (not sure if it was because I turned it off before that or not). I turned that on, then set up all of my notifications again (annoying), ring tone, all that stuff. My phone is no longer running hot anymore and battery seems to be stable.

So what do you have for location? Before my reset, that seemed to be the only option that calmed things down for me. But I'd prefer to leave it on (as I always have in the past) so I can actually use stuff like Maps, Weather, etc.

jutte64

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
Fort Recovery , OH
For those of you that did "reset all settings", what did you do after that? Do you have Location Services on or off now?

I did a settings reset, and location was off (not sure if it was because I turned it off before that or not). I turned that on, then set up all of my notifications again (annoying), ring tone, all that stuff. My phone is no longer running hot anymore and battery seems to be stable.

So what do you have for location? Before my reset, that seemed to be the only option that calmed things down for me. But I'd prefer to leave it on (as I always have in the past) so I can actually use stuff like Maps, Weather, etc.

I have my location services on and the battery seems pretty good. I do keep my phone in airplane mode most the day at work, with just wifi on so I can still use it. I did notice this morning that I opened the camera from the lock screen, and the GPS kept running. After looking I saw that it was the camera. Power cycled the phone and it took care of that.

Someone already post on here too about the camera thing, it has been reported to Apple.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Hello everyone, I've been following this forum for quite some time and decided to finally join yesterday. This is my first post.

My battery life was horrible since upgrading to iOS 7.0, I was getting about 3-4 hours per full charge. Today I decided to try what some of you have suggested. I reset my network settings and turned my dynamic wallpaper off.

I took my phone of the charger at about 7:30 am and was streaming iTunes Radio at the gym for about an hour. I have also been doing some light Internet browsing and my battery life is significantly better. I am at 88% as of now when yesterday I would probably be close to 60%.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
This will 100% fix your battery drain issue.
1) uninstall iOS7 by reverting back to 6.
2) Delete iOS 7 from anywhere accessible.
3) wait for the public release in the fall
4 Install public seed AKA GM

It's a Beta which equates to unfinished...

DeezWun

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
Been non stop using the phone since 8am, it's 11am now and I'm at 53%. Auto downloads, background refresh off and also in advance location settings I turned off "frequently locations" or whatever it was that constantly keeps the gsp checking for suggested locations. Battery life the same my only real problem and one I can't deal with is not being able to sync my music into the phone, a real bummer.

stisdal

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
USA

Also be sure to close out of apps running in the background, they tend to be a cpu hog right now.

Where / how did you disable GPS for Passbook? I do not see a switch for this one anywhere...

Johnmufc

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
I've stopped using the dynamic background and noticed a significant improvement in battery life!

Zyoung172

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2013
Also keep in mind if you have airdrop and blue tooth on (apple seems to have made these come on by default) it is a huge battery drain. While these features are on I have experianced a decline of an extra 10% an hour, with them off it is only about 5% an hour. Also I messed up restoring my iPhone so it was by default set up as a new iPhone, and I have noticed the battery life gets better the more you use iOS 7 (I'm on an iPhone 5 with 16gb). I will say I'm very excited to get iOS 7 for my iPad 2.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US

Did you install a system monitoring app and see what process is driving the CPU and chewing through the battery?

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA
May be referring to "Location Settings". I disabled Passbook in Location Settings and have noticed improved battery life.

Yeah...Passbook activates your GPS every time you turn the screen on! So if you don't need passbook then definitely turn it off in location settings!

iKaushal

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Mumbai, India
I don't think this can really be called a "fix". The reality is that the majority of people coming to iOS 7, either by way of upgrade or new device, are going to restore from an iCloud backup.

I have confidence that they will iron this out over the course of the beta period, so don't get me wrong.

I agree

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
There's a thread about this already. Lots of info if you're curious..

forums.macrumors.com/threads/1598145/

A restore + set up as new does solve the problem in most cases though. I was charging my iPhone 5 twice in 8 hours before, now it's back to the normal once every 24 hours. Can't guarantee it'll work for everyone though, it is a beta after all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.