Fix G4 or New G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ossacip, Jul 29, 2005.

  1. ossacip macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    Location:
    NE
    #1
    First, these threads have been great for gaining incredible mac knowledge and for screwing up my thought process on how to proceed in buying a new mac. :) I have a Quicksilver dual gig that crapped out on me a couple of months back and it seems to be a motherboard/cpu issue. Instead of fixing it I decided to make the jump for a 2.3 which would suffice(and then some) for my photoshop/finalcut needs. Obviously this was before the macintel announcement. I'm not quite sure if it's motherboard or cpu....but i'm thinking around $500 worst case scenario. So do I limp in until macintel? I really think the 2.3 is a solid machine and would be great for years to come, sooooooo. Suggestions?

    Thanks, ossa
     
  2. RGunner macrumors 6502a

    RGunner

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2002
    Location:
    Midnight Sun
    #2
    Got a camera?

    Take a camera out, shoot lots of high resolution pics and write a nice description outlining the problem... then place it on Ebay. You will fetch $500-600 and it isnt worth the crapshoot that a QS processor / or QS logic board will fix. (and I am learning that one can tear up the other if not both working)..

    And yes, I do like the 2.3 (air cooled). I would go for the G5, but then I have one and couldnt be happier.
     
  3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

    Capt Underpants

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2003
    Location:
    Austin, Texas
    #3
    At this point in time, we are at least a year away from a macintel powermac. If I were in your position, I'd sell the QS and buy a pimped out 2.3 Powermac. It will last you years to come, I promise!

    Buy the G5. You won't regret it :D
     
  4. mjstew33 macrumors 601

    mjstew33

    Joined:
    May 29, 2005
    Location:
    Illinois
  5. ossacip thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    Location:
    NE
    #5
    Well, a 2.3 sounds good. I'll try and fix the QS overtime for my 8yr old. I'm thinking about going the ADC discount route....I'm currently a student and would love to get an Ipod but I think the ADC purchase would still be cheaper. Does anyone know what rev the 2.3 is at?

    Thanks for the help, Ossa
     
  6. iGary Guest

    iGary

    Joined:
    May 26, 2004
    Location:
    Randy's House
  7. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #7
    The current Power Mac G5 is a Rev. C model. Your current Mac would be a good Mac for your son. I'm still using one as my main desktop, it will be 5 years old the beginning of September with original equipment. You should go ahead and get the G5 of your choice now.

    Another thing to consider of when to purchase. Many recommend not purchasing the Rev. A model of a Mac. The Intel switch will be an even larger change. That way by Rev. B third party developers should be up t speed.
     
  8. Xephian macrumors 6502a

    Xephian

    Joined:
    May 2, 2005
    Location:
    United States
  9. littletower2go macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2005
    #9
    I need some advice too !

    Hi there,
    I have a DP 1GHz Quicksilver,still working such well.
    I supposed to be able to wait one more year...then I bought the Final Cut Studio UPG that requires a much better AGP.
    Would a DP 2GHz G5 be a bad choice ?
    This GEN of G5 was released in April...the NEXT GEN should appear in autumn,correct ?
    What about a hint ?

    thx
    matt

    P.S. I mostly use FCP and Photoshop
     
  10. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

    kalisphoenix

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2005
    #10
    Buy the PowerMac G5. It's going to be a year before the Intel Macs come out (duh), but also keep in mind that the early revisions will probably be buggy *glances significantly at his friend's former B&W G3 Revision 1 as it sails out a window* and there will be horrendous wait-times no doubt.

    I just bought a B&W Revision 2 that I'm going to upgrade to a G3/1.1GHz. With a new video card and considerable RAM, it should last me until the Macintels come out, get debugged, et cetera. I might be in a position where I have a few grand petty cash, in which case I'm definitely going to buy the top-of-the-line PMac. I'm not a professional in a field that legitimizes extremely powerful computers, so it's tough for me to justify it. Basically, it's going to be a big expensive toy for me. So given that it's not necessary and it's very expensive, you bet your ass I'm going to buy AppleCare and get a model that has all the kinks and bugs worked out.

    Anyway, returning from the tangent: From what I've tasted of desire, I hold with those who favor the DP PowerMac. Damn things are built like tanks, they're very expandable, and I don't think you're going to regret it.

    But for the love of God, man! Get a G3 for the kid. Send ME the G4! B&W's are $120 and just as upgradeable as a Yikes! iMacs are even cheaper. *sobs bitterly*
     
  11. ossacip thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    Location:
    NE
    #11
    I know, I know. It's painful and overkill to give an 8yr old a dual gig. When I replace MB/CPU I'll probably downgrade to single cpu.....alot cheaper.

    I'll probably buy a 2.3 in the next couple of days.

    Thanks for the input.

    Ossa
     

Share This Page