FIXED: "could not connect to the server because the name or password is not correct"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stewdog1, Jul 8, 2006.

1. stewdog1 macrumors newbie

Jul 7, 2006
    Ok folks, after much beating my head against a wall, I finally figured out how to fix this pesky error for trying to connect to your PC from a Mac.

I am using XP SP2.
    Do the following from the PC:
    Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Local Security Policy

within that window go to Local Policies>Security Options

There is an entry called:
    Network access: Sharing and Security Model for Local Accounts

Double click it. Select from the drop down menu: Classic - local users authenticate as themselves

Viola! You can now connect to your PC.
  2. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    This was actually a problem that made me bang my head against a wall for hours and hours...but I never did figure it out. I'm sure it will come in handy in the fall when I'm back to living in the dorms, networked with hundreds of PC users. :p Thanks.
  3. johnjbarryjr macrumors newbie

Sep 3, 2006
    Holy Cow You Fixed My Problem

WOW! I had been wrestling with this for months. I tried everything - from changing the digital signing of communications settings, to downloading the MS user authentication module onto my MAC, to downloading SUPINFO share manager onto the MAC, to changing the Directory access SMB workGroup settings on the MAC - nothing worked!

I tried this and got instant success.

Thank You!
  4. frogstomper macrumors newbie

Aug 28, 2008
    Gold Coast, Australia
    I just tried your suggestion, but I'm still getting the error message. Any other ideas?