Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
For any of you's who have been frustrated with no sounds for notifications on Facebook, and to those who despises them!

There is now a fix for both worlds..Yes Facebook finally fixed their facebook notification sounds on iPhone. This post is for the people who enjoy getting facebook notifications, like me!

-Go to the facebook app on phone
-Go to Account Settings
-Go to Notifications
-Go to Mobile Push
-Look at the top of the screen, go to where it says "Sound for push notifications"
-Edit it to ON for all notifications

Enjoy guys. And for those who dont want sound than dont edit this and leave at default!!

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
This is good to hear, but was fixed for me way back in February.

Jailbreak. Install Pushtone.

The sound file for the notification is called Chord.wav and it's inside the app itself. Easy to find, I used Bridge to install it as a ringtone and told Pushtone to used that tone. Done.

Not to mention that Pushtone makes other apps relevant where they might not ordinarily sound or push to the NC or lockscreen.

Attachments

• 2013-08-25 19.27.38.png
    2013-08-25 19.27.38.png
    186 KB · Views: 1,556
Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Now if there was only a way to disable sound/vibrate for incoming messages while inside the Facebook app...can't figure out why/how that's not possible somehow.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Now if there was only a way to disable sound/vibrate for incoming messages while inside the Facebook app...can't figure out why/how that's not possible somehow.

You can but when they send you a message without being in the app you won't get the notification!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You can but when they send you a message without being in the app you won't get the notification!
I would be OK with that. So far no matter what notifications related to Facebook that I disable I still get a vibration everytume there's a message sent to me while I'm inside the Facebook app using it. What are your suggestions?

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
I would be OK with that. So far no matter what notifications related to Facebook that I disable I still get a vibration everytume there's a message sent to me while I'm inside the Facebook app using it. What are your suggestions?

Ok so just go into the messenger app if you have it and turn off all notifications :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ok so just go into the messenger app if you have it and turn off all notifications :)
That works, but only in messenger. If I'm already in Facebook and get messages while I'm there it vibrates to no end even with all Facebook notifications related to it being turned off.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
That works, but only in messenger. If I'm already in Facebook and get messages while I'm there it vibrates to no end even with all Facebook notifications related to it being turned off.

Alright then only other solution is to go into the settings of each person who messages you regularly to turn it off! I know for a fact that works but it will take about 5 minutes of your time

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Alright then only other solution is to go into the settings of each person who messages you regularly to turn it off! I know for a fact that works but it will take about 5 minutes of your time
That might actually be a workable option--certainly somewhat of a hassle and certainly shouldn't even be necessary if Facebook (and Facebook Measenger) was set up to follow settings properly. Thanks for that tip.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
That might actually be a workable option--certainly somewhat of a hassle and certainly shouldn't even be necessary if Facebook (and Facebook Measenger) was set up to follow settings properly. Thanks for that tip.

No problem :)

----------

Me personally, I don't have an issue with it :p but then again it depends on how many people are messaging you! Than it can get annoying

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

----------

Me personally, I don't have an issue with it :p but then again it depends on how many people are messaging you! Than it can get annoying
I run into it every once in a while so it's not that bad and now I can even disable notifications for the few times and few people when I do run into that. My wife though is part of some groups where people do some group chats and that can get out of hand often as far as frequent message notifications. Not even sure if this workaround would work all that well for her given group chats and even single chats with various others from groups that randomly happen (so no real list of frequent people).

It's really too bad that the Facebook app at least doesn't offer the same option of turning off all message notifications even for a limited period of time like Messenger (and instead only offers it on per contact basis).

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
I run into it every once in a while so it's not that bad and now I can even disable notifications for the few times and few people when I do run into that. My wife though is part of some groups where people do some group chats and that can get out of hand often. Not even sure if this workaround would work all that well for her given group chats and even single chats with various others from groups that randomly happen (so no real list of frequent people).

It's really too bad that the Facebook app at least doesn't offer the same option of turning off all message notifications even for a limited period of time like Messenger (and instead only offers it on per contact basis).

Just tried doing a couple of other things now and it doesn't look like you can except individually :) better than nothing I guess!

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Yeah, unfortunately not it seems (at least for now). Thanks again.

No problemo! Right now I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to change the default notification for tapatalk sound notifications but I'm assuming you can't do that!

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
This does not work. I have all my settings correct. And when i go into the facebook app, i am already checked to receive sound for all. I tried resetting the phone. And nothing. The only time i get sound is if someone tags me. Otherwise it is a no go. I have to keep checking the lockscreen to see if someone replied to my post.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
This does not work. I have all my settings correct. And when i go into the facebook app, i am already checked to receive sound for all. I tried resetting the phone. And nothing. The only time i get sound is if someone tags me. Otherwise it is a no go. I have to keep checking the lockscreen to see if someone replied to my post.

Well it's a qualified fix from Facebook. You have to fiddle around with things sometimes to get it to work. De activate Facebook, delete and reinstall app etc....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.