Fixing an Ipod, not under warranty

Discussion in 'iPod' started by alielizadubois, Mar 1, 2007.

1. alielizadubois macrumors member

Feb 25, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Ipod is no longer under warranty, and even if it were, what happened wouldn't be covered anyway.

I spilled soda on it, and it was working, not working, working, not working, etc. and now it just plain doesn't work and has a sad face.

Does anyone have any experience with how much it costs to have it fixed? I asked at the store, and they said I would probably have to pay a replacement fee, which is almost as much as a new one... Does anyone know how much it would be?

Maybe I should just buy a new one. Mine is the 20 Gig, not color, not video.
  2. bigandy macrumors G3

Apr 30, 2004
    Which model is it?

2G, 3G, or 4G?

I'd say it's more than likely you've upset the logic board inside. Your hard drive could well be dead too. The click/scroll wheel will need replaced too (stickyness + wheel = not great).

While it is possible to replace the internal parts, it may be easier to get a replacement off eBay.

To get a new logic board, you're either going to have to pay a lot to get a brand new one, or basically buy another dead iPod and replace the faulty components. Working 40Gb 3G/4G iPods are going for around $80 on eBay just now I think (from a look yesterday)