Fixing Apple's X11

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by brandon6684, Jan 20, 2003.

1. brandon6684 Guest

Dec 30, 2002
    The day it came out I got Apple's version of X11. For some reason it won't start now. When I try to start it, it just bounces in the dock the quits. I have deleted the, the X11R6 folder in the usr directory, and the X11 folder in the etc directory, but it still doesn't work. I did have the fink version before, and I followed their directions to uninstall, but it did work for about a day.
  2. benixau macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
  3. alset macrumors 65816

Nov 9, 2002
    East Bay, CA
    Have you reistalled from a clean download? Perhaps Apple has made revisions to it since it came out. Also, try searching Apple's Knowledge Base.

Good luck!
  4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    I'm kind of an idiot and i'm new to the whole mac/unix/linux thing. can someoone explain what x11 is to me? I can never really find a clear answer maybe i'm just dumb.
  5. gbojim macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2002
    The really brief answer to this is X11 is a windowing system providing a GUI shell to a UNIX OS. The full name is X Windows version 11 Release 6. It has been the standard Windows manager on UNIX forever, was originally developed (and I think the spec is still maintained) by MIT, and the spec is open so anyone can implement it. When developing OS X, Apple decided to develop a proprietary Windowing system - Aqua.

From a technical perspective, it is a lot more complicated than what I just described, especially Aqua and the rest of the OS X windowing sytem, but that is the jist of it.

If you want a more technical description of the different components and how they work together, there is some excellent information in the developers area on the Apple web site.