Fixing Apple's X11

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by brandon6684, Jan 20, 2003.

1. brandon6684 Guest

The day it came out I got Apple's version of X11. For some reason it won't start now. When I try to start it, it just bounces in the dock the quits. I have deleted the X11.app, the X11R6 folder in the usr directory, and the X11 folder in the etc directory, but it still doesn't work. I did have the fink version before, and I followed their directions to uninstall, but it did work for about a day.

2. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

3. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Have you reistalled from a clean download? Perhaps Apple has made revisions to it since it came out. Also, try searching Apple's Knowledge Base.

http://www.info.apple.com/

Good luck!
    Dan

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I'm kind of an idiot and i'm new to the whole mac/unix/linux thing. can someoone explain what x11 is to me? I can never really find a clear answer maybe i'm just dumb.

5. gbojim macrumors 6502

The really brief answer to this is X11 is a windowing system providing a GUI shell to a UNIX OS. The full name is X Windows version 11 Release 6. It has been the standard Windows manager on UNIX forever, was originally developed (and I think the spec is still maintained) by MIT, and the spec is open so anyone can implement it. When developing OS X, Apple decided to develop a proprietary Windowing system - Aqua.

From a technical perspective, it is a lot more complicated than what I just described, especially Aqua and the rest of the OS X windowing sytem, but that is the jist of it.

If you want a more technical description of the different components and how they work together, there is some excellent information in the developers area on the Apple web site.