Fixing corrupt JPEGs

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by misfit356tsw, Feb 3, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

Help I have corrupt JPEGs. The pictures show up fine in in thumbnail but when opened up in preview they only show half of the picture.

2. macrumors newbie

Help

I am getting the same error. I cannot find a fix for them. Would someone please help. I really need to restore these picture or find a fix.

3. Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Are these pictures still on the card?

If so you can try using PhotoRec, it is free and the best piece of software I have used to recover pictures.

4. macrumors 6502

I used Klix from Joesoft to recover a CF card, after trying several free ones. Klix worked brilliantly.

Good luck.

5. macrumors newbie

No this is on my harddrive. I'v had this file on my drive for a while. There where on a second drive. I had to do a reinstall, when i went back to look at the picture about 65% where like this.

6. Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Just re read the page from PhotoRec and you can still use it

I tried Klix when i lost a lot of pictures from traveling and it was good but PhotoRec sorted out so many more pictures + it is free, although not too user friendly.

7. macrumors newbie

OK cool, i will try it tonight. Thank you again.

8. macrumors newbie

Ok it finished. It grad allot of picture but i still get the errors i was getting before. Iv added a picture to show what I'm talking about. It funny i can see it fine in thumbnail, but any other program it shows grey or multi color garbage.

Attached Files:

9. Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The thumbnail data is at the begining of the file and it is common to be able to see the thumbnail on corrupted files. You could give other programs a try but sometimes you just have to accept that they are gone.

Maybe someone else knows some other tricks