Fixing to purchase apple laptop need quick advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ToddW, Apr 3, 2004.

1. ToddW macrumors 6502a

Okay so I am fixing to either purchase one of the following:

1Ghz ibook fully loaded
    640Mb RAM
    60Gb HD
    AE
    BT

or

refurbed 1.25Ghz 15" PB
    512MB RAM
    80Gb HD
    AE
    BT

I want to order today. What is everyones opinions about refurbished computers from Apple here in the US. Are the reliable, do they come with iLife 04, panther all the cables etc???

Hope folks are on the boards, I'm going to be a switcher baby yeah!!!

2. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

I think just about everyone here would recommend a 15" Powerbook over a 14" iBook. Including me :) It looks far better, is faster, has a better video card, larger HD, etc.

3. ToddW thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I've never had a refurb but I've heard a lot of success stories. It's fully guaranteed by Apple so no worries if it is a dud, and you save a lot of money. I would definitely reccommend a 15" PB (espcially the 1.25 GHz version) over the 14" iBook. Plus, things like AirPort card and stuff are included in the PowerBook, including Superdrive and other goodies.

5. ToddW thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I ordered it.

A 15" 1.25GHz PB
    w/
    Bluetooth
    AE
    80GB HD

I can't believe I did it. I am going to switch from Windows to a mac.

I will keep everyone updated.

6. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Well done and good luck with it! I'm sure it'll be great - these PowerBooks are really nice machines!

7. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

Man you did need advice quick! :p

To provide reassurance while you wait for your new baby to arrive - I just got the exact same refurb from Smalldog, and I absolutely love it!!! :D

If it's not new, I can't tell. There are no scratches, dead pixels, or any other problems that I've come across in the past few days (and my wife can tell you I've been playing with everything on it!).

It came with panther - which I upgraded to 10.3.3
    iLife 04 wasn't installed, but the DVD upgrade was included
    All cables were in their original bags and even all of the little plastic caps were on the ends!

And it was $500 cheaper!!!

Yeah, I'm a little satisfied :D

8. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Apple refurbs are geat! They come with everything a new one comes with - cables, cd's, manuals, etc.

Also if you do have a problem with it or find out that it is missing something, no need to worry because it has the same exact warranty as all new computers.

I have a refurb iBook 700mhz and it is great. Good luck!

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Looks good mate, enjoy it! If you have any money left over head to Crucial.com and pick yourself up another 512MB of RAM for it, it'll make all the difference :)

10. ToddW thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah definately going to pick up a stick of 512MB when it gets here. I am really excited about it. I have a ton of photos and stuff to organize. The PB is going to be the perfect accessory to my ipod.

11. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

That's funny. After playing with itunes for the first time I was beginning to think an ipod would be the perfect accessory for my powerbook :p

12. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

thirteen1031

Let us know how you like your new powerbook when it arrives. Congrats on the purchase--you won't regret it.

13. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

wow... too late to get in on this thread, but congratulations!

14. ToddW thread starter macrumors 6502a

when i originally ordered it. it was slated not to ship until at least the 12th. the shipping confirmation came last night. i also orderd a 160GB firewire/USB 2.0 drive for it. speaking of external drives, i need to copy photos and tunes over from my windows partition to this external harddrive. the questions i have are the following:

1. should i format the drive FAT32 in windows, i may be confused but macs can read FAT32 right?

2. is it possible to share this drive once it is plugged into my powerbook with my PC?

Thanks for answering all the questions I have had over the past couple of months regarding wanting to switch.

The really filled my order pretty quick, I thought that was rather odd?