Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dixie318

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Southern USA
I've got my old iBook G3 clamshell set up in my guestroom as a spare computer, and I'm having a few issues and was wondering if anyone could help.

I'm thinking the battery is dead, as the computer shuts off as soon as I unplug it but stays on for a fair amount of time while it's plugged in, though it eventually shuts down. Still boots up normally, though it loses the date setting every time (again, assuming this is a battery issue). Are there any reputable dealers of replacement batteries, either on eBay or elsewhere? What should I be looking for as far as model number and other details?

I'm also having issues connecting it to the wireless. It has an airport card and has connected to wireless networks before, but not my new home wireless (I moved and set up a new network). I get the error message "The password you entered is not correct for the AirPort network "Network Name"." But I know that it is correct. The wireless is the biggest issue, because it sort of defeats the purpose of having a spare computer in the guestroom for the guests to check e-mail if they can't access the internet. I've checked the router setup, and the network mode is set to mixed (G and B). Any ideas what's going on?

Lastly, and I know this is a total longshot, but does anyone have any ideas where I could find a new lime DVD bezel, aside from buying another clamshell and stealing the DVD bezel from it? Mine got damaged ages ago, and I know it's nitpicky, but I'd like to replace it.

Any help would be most appreciated, and my advance apologies if I've posted in the wrong forum.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The original Airport card, like the one in an iBook G3, can only connect to WEP and WPA networks. Furthermore, only in 10.3.9 and up, can it connect to WPA networks. I've also found that if the router is set to B,G,N mode, it cannot connect unless I turn off the N mode.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
I've got my old iBook G3 clamshell set up in my guestroom as a spare computer, and I'm having a few issues and was wondering if anyone could help.

I'm thinking the battery is dead, as the computer shuts off as soon as I unplug it but stays on for a fair amount of time while it's plugged in, though it eventually shuts down. Still boots up normally, though it loses the date setting every time (again, assuming this is a battery issue). Are there any reputable dealers of replacement batteries, either on eBay or elsewhere? What should I be looking for as far as model number and other details?

I'm also having issues connecting it to the wireless. It has an airport card and has connected to wireless networks before, but not my new home wireless (I moved and set up a new network). I get the error message "The password you entered is not correct for the AirPort network "Network Name"." But I know that it is correct. The wireless is the biggest issue, because it sort of defeats the purpose of having a spare computer in the guestroom for the guests to check e-mail if they can't access the internet. I've checked the router setup, and the network mode is set to mixed (G and B). Any ideas what's going on?

Lastly, and I know this is a total longshot, but does anyone have any ideas where I could find a new lime DVD bezel, aside from buying another clamshell and stealing the DVD bezel from it? Mine got damaged ages ago, and I know it's nitpicky, but I'd like to replace it.

Any help would be most appreciated, and my advance apologies if I've posted in the wrong forum.

1) Losing Date/Time means the PRAM Battery on the Logic Board is dead
2) If it dies as soon as you yank AC, then its battery is dead - I like NewerTech as a maker of new batteries
3) eBay is the best place for spare parts.

dixie318

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Southern USA
Wow! Thanks for the speedy responses!

Re: The Wireless
My router is a G router and set to WPA. I've updated the OS to 10.4.11, and it definitely connected to a B router in the past. I'm wondering if it's a software issue, but I can't figure out how to determine exactly what version of AirPort software I'm running. If it turns out to be a software issue, I have an ethernet cable somewhere around here that I can use to update it.

Re: The Battery
I'm not sure exactly what a PRAM battery is, though I'm googling and learning. Are these relatively easy to replace? I've opened the iBook up before when I maxed out the RAM, so I'm not afraid to try again. I just don't want to electrocute myself/wreck the computer.
ETA: Unless I'm mistaken, it seems like the iBook doesn't have a separate PRAM battery, but rather it's built into the main battery? Is this correct and I only need to replace the main battery?

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Wow! Thanks for the speedy responses!

Re: The Wireless
My router is a G router and set to WPA. I've updated the OS to 10.4.11, and it definitely connected to a B router in the past. I'm wondering if it's a software issue, but I can't figure out how to determine exactly what version of AirPort software I'm running. If it turns out to be a software issue, I have an ethernet cable somewhere around here that I can use to update it.

Re: The Battery
I'm not sure exactly what a PRAM battery is, though I'm googling and learning. Are these relatively easy to replace? I've opened the iBook up before when I maxed out the RAM, so I'm not afraid to try again. I just don't want to electrocute myself/wreck the computer.
ETA: Unless I'm mistaken, it seems like the iBook doesn't have a separate PRAM battery, but rather it's built into the main battery? Is this correct and I only need to replace the main battery?

Yes, it appears the iBook doesnt have a separate PRAM battery, so replacing just the main one should be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.