Fixing up my Ti Book

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by lucius, Sep 20, 2004.

1. lucius macrumors member

I decided against upgrading my Powerbook, instead I'm going for a new iMac (17" with the bluetooth keyboard and mouse). However, my 800MHz TiBook is looking worse for wear. The keyboard has a wonky key and the top case around the keyboard is predicably scratched and scuffed.

I asked my local (UK) Apple certified vendor about replacing those two pieces. He said it would be £45 + VAT for the keyboard and £110 + VAT for the case piece. I thought the latter was pricey but thought the former was reasonable. So he ordered it for me.

Then he phoned me to tell me Apple would not let me install the keyboard (its insanely easy on a Ti Book) and he'd have to charge me another £15 + VAT to do that (30 seconds work I reckon).

Is this the case with Apple? Is there any way I can get a new keyboard or top case to install myself?? I really begrudge forking out £17 for the keyboard install and £52 to get the case put on.

2. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

When I thought the keyboard was going bad on my TiBook, Apple sent me a new one in the mail and told me to throw out the old one. This in the U.S. and within my one year warranty, though.

Apple had the keyboard listed as a customer installable part for all the TiBooks, but not for the Aluminum PowerBooks, so maybe the person was confusing the two models. The TiBook keyboard should really be installable by you, since it takes like 2 minutes.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Have you looked on eBay for a replacement keyboard, or even a busted TiBook you could use for parts?

4. lucius thread starter macrumors member

I was surprised about the vendor installable rule on the Ti Keyboard. Maybe I'll try to approach Apple directly on the subject then get back to the Apple certified shop. As I said I don't mind paying the £52.88 (although I do think that's a lot for a little plastic keyboard) its just I begrudge them the fitting fee.

I have looked on EBay but the busted up ones tend to have busted up cases and keyboards as a rule. The rest of my machine is perfect. The keyboard with the wonky key was my fault (I dropped a knife on it) but the paint thing seems to be endemic in the Ti Books.