FL voting machines from 2004 reportedly tampered with

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vniow, Feb 24, 2006.

1. vniow macrumors G4

Is anyone really surprised? :rolleyes:

http://www.bbvforums.org/cgi-bin/forums/board-auth.cgi?file=/1954/19421.html

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Not shocked, really. This is just validation of what we already knew.

So...can we have the election invalidated? And when does Gore get to move into the White House? :eek:

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Out of curiousity, is this similar to the more recent story of the error if someone voted their party down-the-line, but did not scroll to vote on the ballot measures also included? I remember that switched many people's votes to the opposite. Anyone remember what I am talking about?

Point being, that this may not constitute deliberate tampering, although there can be no question that voting machines are a step-backward in terms of reliable agents of the people's will. I miss paper ballots <sniff>

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The Pope may not really be a Catholic.

Where do you go from here? If this is just one district, the potential overall fraud is mind-boggling. Stealing an election to line corporate pockets, starting an illegal war and destroying the US economy is quite a rap sheet for starters.

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Come on, it was an honest question - the instances I (vaguely) mentioned in my previous post did happen and it was merely a case of poor software/user integration - not ulterior partisan motives.

I don't know if this case is relevant or not - which is why I posed the question in the first place.

Assuming, however, that this did constitute deliberate tampering, what could we realistically expect to happen with all of this? Anything? Is there any precedent for this kind of thing that would be illustrative/relevant?

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Excuse my little joke...

Re-run the election? Seriously, this kind of thing usually only happens in third world countries. Should we cut off aid payments?

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

hmm editing...

The potential is mind-boggling, but from a practical standpoint, only so much needs to be definitively proven.

As for your "rap sheet" those are separate accusations, which merit substantiation on their own. If an Election was stolen - I'd pursue that - it hardly matters why, or to prove that rather tenous corrolation seems to be a waste of effort (for now).

One thing at a time mate...

9. Lau Guest

It's shocking that we're not shocked, if that makes any sense. :(

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Well, I'm shocked that none of your "liberalmedia" is mentioning this yet.

11. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Gore wasn't running for President in 2004. :)

12. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

If I was Kerry, would it be worth picking up on this and running with it? I am sure the GOP would be all over him like white-on-rice, but hell - who wants to be a Senator forever? He's certainly not going to run for President again...

Relatedly, would the Democratic Party as a whole be served by bringing attention to this in the run-up to mid-term Elections this year? What is the likely cost/benefit analysis for them?

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Excuse me; you're right of course. I guess tampering with Florida election results reminded me of 2000.

14. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

That is just trés sophistiqué...

Do you mean "another turn at the polls"?

In any case, I bow to your franco-italian double-entendré...

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Can anyone make any real sense out of these voting machine logs? I personally lack the expertise to download and analyze them, as BlackBoxVoting.org seems to be inviting us to do -- instead of clearly explaining what they mean.

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I think it was just stupidity that made it happen...this time. Of course, there was the case where the only county having optical readers in 2000 had the error checking turned off to save wasting paper ballots. What's right, accuracy or keeping expenses down? I think that people here in Floriduh always reach high...for adequacy, and then, only if it's convenient.

Things haven't improved much since 2000, 2002, and 2004 elections. It could be a long time for real progress other than spending money and a public show.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think the only lesson really learned in 2000 was how to make the next one not close.

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It wasn't learnt in Orlando. The last mayor's race (2002, I think) is still being contested.

19. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

We should invade and install democracy.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Why, thank you. :) I was quite proud of it myself.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I just moved down from Washington state, back to California. In the last big election up there in 2004, it looked like the Republican won in the Governor's race. They did a recount, and he didn't actually win by as much as they thought he did. Then they did a hand recount and the Dem actually won. And by quite a bit more than you'd think for such a supposedly "close" race. If even half of those people voted for Kerry (which my guess is that it was more than half) it raises some interesting questions. If a blue state could be that well manipulated, it made me wonder about the rest. Doesn't explain 2005 where a bunch of Dems won, but it still makes me wonder.

I used to think this was all a lot of tinfoil hat stuff, but lately none of this surprises me anymore. We'll see what happens in '06. Wonder if people will riot and protest like in that one country where the guy was poisoned.