FLAC. Quicktime. Who's with me?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mustgroove, Oct 13, 2006.

1. mustgroove macrumors regular

Aug 14, 2006
    Quicktime desperately needs a FLAC component.

There isn't one, and we need one. Apple Lossless is wonderful and all that, but FLAC has a wide amount of 3rd-party support, and the lack of FLAC compatibility in Quicktime is a serious drawback for me, as I'm sure it is for a lot of people.

So who's with me? Someone please enFLACify Quicktime post-haste!!!
  2. eji macrumors 6502

Jun 8, 2004
    Inland Empire
    Yeah, QT desperately needs a FLAC codec, and iTunes desperately needs to make use of that FLAC codec and offer playback and tag support for the format. Same with OGG. I can see why Apple doesn't support all the wacky music file formats that are out there (including Monkey's Audio, which really isn't all that wacky), but it seems to me that these are the two major open-source formats and they have a wide and devoted user base, and therefore they should be compatible with QT and iTunes.

Unfortunately, I can't code, so all I can do is cheer on potential developers.
  3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    QuickTime FLAC plugin beta.

No development since 2004, though, but there might be other, newer initiatives out there ready to be discovered...
  4. mustgroove thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 14, 2006
    Yeah I've seen that plugin before, but from what I can gather it

a) didn't work well to begin with
    b) was broken by Quicktime 7, and
    c) is PowerPC only in any event...

What's needed is a working component with an active community around it to weed out any bugs...
  5. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    What I don't get is why this is so hard.

There must be enough interest as it keeps coming up. Shouldn't it basically be a simple wrapper around libflac?

6. Ritsuka macrumors 6502

Sep 3, 2006
    There is already a component to read ogg/flac in quicktime: http://www.xiph.org/quicktime/

It can read flac inside the ogg container, but not flac container for now.
  7. mustgroove thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 14, 2006
    Thanks for the link, but still it isn't full FLAC support, which is what's needed.