Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

el_avocado

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Arizona
Does anyone know how to get rid of the flag in the upper-right hand corner of the screen (next to the day and time)?

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
el_avocado said:
Oh, thank you! My desktop isn't tacky anymore!

I like it--not because of the flag icon, but because it's a quick route to the character palette. No need to remember key strokes for such gems as foreign characters like ß or ð

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
That little flag is a life saver for those who know how to use it!
Attachment #1: The keyboard viewer that lies above all other windows and live updates as you hold down various optiion keys - very useful when you need a symbol ??©??~??©???´¨¥?©??~ƒ?ç?!
Attachment #2: A list you can make from system prefs>international input menu tab

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 661
  • 3.png
    3.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 561

rps25

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2005
Further Character Palette help

On a similar note, does anyone know if there's a quick fix for this:

Character Palette won't appear -- the outline of the application shows up, with the spinning circle, but then disappears after a second or two. The menubar icon suggests that it's active (i.e., it offers "Hide Character Palette" as an option), but it won't stay on the screen, nor does the actual content of the palette appear.

(Also, I saw someone else say they also had the two "Help" menus in Safari, as mine does. I never even notice it, but was there ever a fix for that, either?)

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    185.3 KB · Views: 91

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
James Philp said:
That little flag is a life saver for those who know how to use it!

I agree completely - at least for those of us who need to know how to use it. I switch daily between 3 layouts with the keyboard shortcut, and the flags show me where I am. But I can see how someone who only uses one layout would find the flag unnecessary.

I had the opposite problem a couple weeks ago - my flags disappeared after upgrading to 10.4.1., and not having them drove me crazy. They came back after I repaired permissions and restarted. Only thing I don´t like now, is that the name of the country appears beside the flag - that´s unnecessary and takes up more room.

Maybe a repair / restart would also help the poster who´s lost the content of the character palette.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
still want the palettes?

If you don't like the flag, but still want to get to the palettes easily, search version tracker for the utilities that will bring them up for you, then put them in your dock.

When will someone make a key caps widget? That might be useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.