Flags Burned in Brooklyn, New York

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MACDRIVE, Jul 4, 2006.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/4022307.html

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Burning flags as a political statement and vandalism of private property are two different things. ;)

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Maybe I should have my own good ol flag burning today the 4th of July in America's Hometown.

Now wouldn't that be fun

4. iGary Guest

iGary

If the locals didn't hang you, maybe. :)

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Burning the flag can be a political statement. But in this case it seems to be a statement of pure ignorance.

I still wouldn't ban flag-burning. The worst thing you do is acknowledge these creeps in any way. Better to ignore 'em and let their execrable act speak for itself.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

There is already a law against vandalism and trespassing, so this act is covered already.

7. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

I've got one set aside to burn in public in the event that Congress ever passes an amendment against doing so.

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

As do I. I'm sure if Congress passes this amendment eventually we will see a huge increase in flag burning in this country.

9. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Does anyone really think that this would have happened if there hadn't been the high profile amendment in Congress recently? If Congress had not issued the Amendment and it had not been in the press I doubt that the act would have even passed by the minds of the vandals. In effect this becomes a self-fulfilling legislation with the publicity around it giving some delinquents the idea to burn the flag, and thus providing the epidemic we need a law for.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Amen.

These are cowards who burn other people's flags in secret, not protesters.

But I'm sure there will be elements on the right who will make no distinction between the two...

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Who's to say that it isn't someone on the right torching the flags simply to inflame the issue further? It seems to be a blue collar kind of neighborhood and I can't imagine a bunch of radicals hanging out there. Of course, it could also simply be bored suburban kids looking for something to do. Until those who committed the crime are caught, it seems sort of silly to declare them leftist radicals....

12. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

It could even be semi-ignorant suburbanites with a bunch of old, worn-out frayed flags.

What do you do with flags when they are too worn to display (it's disrespectful to display a worn-out American flag)? You burn them.

The preferred method is in a cardboard tube or other vessel so that you don't see the flag itself in mid-conflagration.

13. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Which they probably would :/

14. iGary Guest

iGary

What's your point?

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I would have never burned the flag before. Especially someone else's flag. That's just stupid. This is all about vandalism. If you're going to burn a flag, burn your own. But if you're going to burn someone else's, you should be prosecuted for vandalism and arson, not being unpatriotic. Hopefully, if they catch them, they treat it as such.

I just hope this doesn't turn into a First Amendment issue because it isn't.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Bingo- thinking is tough for people on the right. ;)

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well this should feed the FoxNews propaganda machine, I think I can already hear this issue shudder to life; and of course, the difference between a random act of vandalism will be conflated with political speech and the distinctions will be ignored or brushed aside.

Oh joy.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I doubt it. The flag burning thing was a nonissue from the getgo. Too few wanting to make it into an amendment, and far too many people saying go ahead and burn it.

Which is actually kinda sad if you think about it.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wasn't this the issue that failed in the Senate by a single vote? :confused:

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I was talking about people (scroll down), not politicians. ;)