Flagship Apple Store - Bathrooms, exclusive first look.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by LordJezo, May 21, 2006.

1. LordJezo macrumors newbie

With all of the world going crazy over the entrance of the new Apple store I decided that we should examine a much under-reported on section of the Apple store, it's bathrooms.

Yesterday I went to the flagship store on 5th Ave and took some pictures of the bathrooms for community discussion.

Here you go.

I feel that Steve may have over looked the much needed bathroom facilities and seemed to have stuck with a very standard design. I was hoping for much more, perhaps flat screens above the urinals to view Apple commercials on or maybe some form of iFlair, instead we are left with a few urinals and low water pressure.

Oh well, at least we can all know what to expect when we're there at 4 in the morning and need to break the seal.

2. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

wow, compared to the rest of the building the bathrooms are very unimpressive. :(

3. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Strange. The toilets in the London store are pretty nice, nothing super-special, just nice.

4. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Uglyish.
    Meh. That sucks.

And thanks for thinking of the bathrooms and taking the pictures for us! :p:D

5. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I always judge the qualtiy of a business by their restrooms.;)

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

"beak the seal"? that's a new one on me...

at least they're clean.

7. G99 macrumors 6502

G99

They're average, but I like the cubicle doors ;)
    They look like Apple's Pro Macs, just like a Powermac's finish. :p

8. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Modesty panels between the urinals,I've never seen that before maybe it's a US thing.Aside from that it's a very clean design and looks to be low maintainance.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Not sure if I like the signage, particularly the grey triangle with the men's and tiny accessible symbol.

10. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

For a bathroom they look fine. The most important thing is that they're clean!

11. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

?
    Where's the picture of the first log deposited? Why no close-ups of the urinal cakes?
    This is one silly thread.

12. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

So that's where the bathrooms were. :eek: I saw Steve going in there around 6pm on 5/19 so I thought that was off limits and employees only. ;)

13. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Most US men's loos, in my experience, don't have modesty panels between the urinals; it's a welcome feature when they are there, though.

The bathroom looks like a pretty good facility; I just hope they keep it well cleaned.

14. Lau Guest

Is that some sort of standard accessibilty thing - the triangle/circle thing? It would make sense for people who were partially sighted to only have to recognise a standard shape rather than spot a detail on the figure. I haven't seen it before though. And it should be a darker colour for more contrast if it is for that reason though, surely. Maybe the designers were just a bit odd. :D

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You should have followed him in there and delivered the classic toilet line:

"So this is where the big knobs hang out?!"

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Not in the UK. I've just done all my building's new signage so I'm overly sensitive to these matters at the mo. The triangle is strange and why the accessibility symbol is so small is also a bit odd.

Still, it's Apple. They're forgiven. :D

17. Lau Guest

Hmm. Our new toilets at college have a circular sign for the womens and a square for the mens, but as they don't match I assume it was unintentional, rather than out of concern for people. :D

18. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I may be wrong here as it's been a long time since I worked in this field but I think ISO standards only apply to safety signs(not that a lot of them meet ISO) I am surprised accessability signs are not standard.

19. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

Hmmm.

I thought there would be a glass stall enclosure to match the giant glass cube entrance. And a glass partition between urinals. Why stop there? Could have installed glass entrance doors too and placed Apple logos in strategic locations for privacy.

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

They should have put a Windows logo on the back of the urinal.

21. HckySo macrumors 6502

HckySo

The closest store to me is in a mall and they don't have a restroom.

22. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Heck yeah panels between urinals! Don't talk to me either...it'll draw back up!

23. mac-er macrumors 65816

More often than not, bathrooms in the US have modesty panels..we don't like people to see our ding-a-lings. Men's bathrooms have strict rules of etiquette....look straight ahead or look up at the urinal, don't play with it, and absolutely no talking.

I was underwhelmed by these bathrooms. I expected more technologically advanced bathrooms. Where are the automatic flushers and sinks, the foot petals for the soap, the flat screen in front of the urinal showing Apple commercials?

They should at least have the startup chime when you step up (or sit down). :)

24. bartelby macrumors Core

"Most people gave up on trying to wash their hands and walked out. Steve Jobs, shame on you. "

Isn't there a joke about Apple people not p*ssing on their hands?

25. zach macrumors 65816

zach

isn't that just the mens bathroom though? i bet the women's room has designer soaps.