flamers have no place

Discussion in 'Community' started by drastik, Jul 4, 2002.

1. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

I will say, to begin, that I love this site, and I love these boards. macrumors is one of the best Mac sites on the web.

However, I am sick and tired of a bunch of snobby, underinformed, arrogant people marching in and declaring that their opinion is the only right answer. I always thought that boards were for discussion, not bashing others for their toughts.

So, the question...

Do you think flamng has any place on the boards, or do you think that everyone's opiion is important

2. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i dont care for flaming. im down with screwing around and having fun, and for sure i want everyones opinions to count.

3. drastik thread starter macrumors 6502a

drastik

kros, you put it better than i could. Screwing around and having fun!!!!!!
    OMG, maybe we found the method in the madness. Fun for all, I say.
    (of corse, earlier I started a thread about fairly serious (and wholy unfun) issues that is still n the front page. Fun and debae, that is the key.:)

4. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

Its a difficult balance!

I don't really enjoy cruel and obnoxious diatribes.

But its a thin line tween controlling asinine poeple and inhibiting natural dialogues that may sometimes move into the world of FAUX PAS.

If everyone agreed then the threads would be like one person posting to themselves, now that would be boring!

Discourse is what creates interest to some degree.

Of course there can be interest created with good old honest intelligent humor and technical knowhow.

Yet, humor is very subjective and even technical knowledge is often open to unique interpretations.

I think that people have the responsibility to control what they read and if certain post are offensive to them, then they dont have to read it. Much like TV and movies!

Of course there is always the obvious Lamer that is just beggin to whacked and we can all agree on the whacking that must inevitably occur.

I find that sometimes stupid posts are quite the eye opener and give a certain entertainment factor as I rad them in the safety of my home!

Much like my post here, I suppose! :p

5. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

I'll start by saying that I have done my fair share of flaming on this site, so I'm by no means innocent...

That said, I have mixed feelings about flaming. On the one hand, it often serves as a tool for the misinformed and ignorant. Folks with NO idea what they're talking about cn, occasionally, use flaming as a technique to knowck other mor knowledgeable posters down. I don't think this happens as regularly as you'd think, though. in fact, I'd say it's pretty rare.

Flaming more often originates when someone (usually a newbie and usually a troll) incites a near riot by posting pure flamebait. You guys all know what I mean. One of those "Macs R 4 r3tards" *******s finds his way into the forums, and the flames ensue. I for one don't see the problem with this. Sure it encourages the troll in some instances, but these threads usually die off fairly quickly. Moreover, they serve to let guys like me and Alpha (King of the Flame People!) blow off some steam so we don't snap at EVERYONE.

Flames can be useful as a tool. Over the past year I've noticed a few newbies who recieved quite a flaming only to learn from it and become excellent members of the MacRumors community. And those that don't learn usually leave. Sure, Spikey and GoCyrus were exceptions to this idea, but they are the only two I can think of. Just some food for thought... :)

6. drastik thread starter macrumors 6502a

drastik

I will concede that some people are asking for the torch, but others are not. My point is, the general idea of flaming, the overload of negative feed back, creates a hostile environment, one that is not open to a free market place of ideas.

Discounting opinions is stupid.

"Anyone who places Security above Freedom deserves neither."
    -Benjamin Franklyn

7. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Wow, going all John Stuart Mill with the marketplace of ideas, and then busting out with that Ben Franklin quote. See, if every post was this intelligent we wouldn't NEED to flame.

P.S.-Great quote. Wonder if President Bush ever studied that one at Yale? Guess not... ;)

8. drastik thread starter macrumors 6502a

drastik

Mill is my boy, though my take on the State of Nature is decidedly Hobbsian. ( I made a stupid mistake and spent some time in jail: short, nasty and brutish jst about sums it up.

Nice to hear someone who has heard of the Socail Contract:D

9. drastik thread starter macrumors 6502a

drastik

wsteineker:

A montgomery boy, no less! I guess the South sill has some inteligence left.;)

Kidding, of corse, some of the most intelligent people i have ever met were fom B'ham, and Moble ain't half bad either.

Montgomery Rocks, don't let these Yanks give you know gump. (Although, our Mass boy, Alphatech, seems to know his business.:D

10. drastik thread starter macrumors 6502a

drastik

11. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Right on, man. I teach high school debate during the school year, and my major is political science, so I'm down with the social contract. I'd be tempted to agree with you on the Hobbes point, too. Every run in I've had with the law has left me underwhelmed. Then again, I live in Alabama. Not exactly the most progressive state in the country, to say the least. I totally agree that Mill was overly altruistic, but you might credit that to his upbringing more than anything else. Mill was a terribly sheltered child. Anyway, keep up the good work! :D

12. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Thanks man. Much gras. Yeah, we don't do too bad down here. The damned heat will kill you before the rednecks do. ;)

You'd be suprised to find out that I, too, have met some of the more intelligent people I've ever encountered down here. Who would have thunk it? Guess that old saying about judging a book by its cover still has a little creedence... :)

13. drastik thread starter macrumors 6502a

drastik

Get rid of the Nazi lookng Vulcan satue in B'ham and I'm on board for the whole trip:D

I was a bit of a dork in Highschool, so I know this sh#t, but, if I rememe correctly, Alabama is the bloodbath state for politicaly minded people, the high school debate being a benchmark of opinon equaled only by the most informed DC mutha,

14. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

You'll be THRILLED to hear that Vulcan is currently down having his ass rebuilt. Apparently he was quite the safety hazard. I just don't think it's a good idea to put him back up. I mean the entire city of Homewood has to wake up to his ass every morning. That's just not right. :)

As for the debate...you're right. I was a national champ in three events, so now my high school pays me to pass the goods on. Every kid from the state that went to the national tournament this year is from my team. Alabama as a district has won more national titles than any other district. These kids are truly badass, and they live this ****. It's just like football in Texas, man. These kids are brilliant.

15. drastik thread starter macrumors 6502a

drastik

I'll give you that they are great, and Homewood(Vestavia, too) are great in there own right, but I am from the Billy Tate school of thought, and the Iowa School, and god love us, we took it straight to AL.

PS. Maybe this isn't the right place for this discussion, as others probably have no ide what we are talking about.:D

16. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Damn you and your topicality! I guess we should stop...

One last thing and then it's over. I teach at Saint James, and you MBA boys got NOTHING on my kids! As for Iowa, I've done my time there. God knows... :)

Now back to something on topic...

Flames: Yay or Boo? :D

17. drastik thread starter macrumors 6502a

drastik

Alright, lets drag it out one more time.

Hi, my name is Tyson Tune, who praytell are you?

And flamers... Nay, open discussion is key, the marketplace is king, isn't that why we are here?;)

18. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

I'm Will Steineker. I've heard your name. Were you not of the Jonathan Carr era? Good to meet you here, man. In all the places... :D

I was an extemper and an impromptu artist, so it's not suprising that we've never actually met.

I just checked your profile, and you're a few years older than me. Again, wow...

P.S.-I think you might dig my new signature. :)

19. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

If someone comes out with an incredibly dumb question/comment, then they are kind of asking to be flamed. I usually try to refrain, and allow alpha and his crew to do the job (although i've slipped up once or twice ;)). Between regulars though, flaming can be a source of huge entertainment.

If you remember though, Arn has a clear policy on flaming, and doesn't want it to be present.

20. drastik thread starter macrumors 6502a

drastik

Still off-topic

W-

yes, as a matter of fact i know John Carr well, he and I hve hased it out on a couple of occasions. Small world. That's really cool, that you know my name. tell me, id taht carzy St. James coach still around? Im amticipation, yes Tate is still fat, and still fixing break rounds (now you now)

21. drastik thread starter macrumors 6502a

drastik

22. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Again, off topic:

Depends on which crazy coach you mean, honestly. Michele Coody (the LD coach) is still around and is still an uncontrolable pain in my ass. Gloria Robison (the IE coach is long gone). Glad to know Tate is still fat. I'm assuming he's still narcoleptic, too. Glad you told me that thing about break rounds. I always knew something was up!

Damn, this is all so surreal... :D

23. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Thx!

Can't have the little guy getting sun-burnt now, can we? ;) :D

24. drastik thread starter macrumors 6502a

drastik

W- glad you can read my latenight bad typing. Been up for a few hours now. Love to Ms. Robson, wheve she might be. As for Coody, I feel your pain. Let's put it this way: I'll see you at Southern Bell. Tate is inescapable.

Brit: Hell NO! Put mayonase on the mutha if it's neccesary.:D

25. drastik thread starter macrumors 6502a

drastik

Damn, a Paine quotation, this place is becoming too literate. i have to think now;)