Flaming?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by reberto, Dec 12, 2005.

1. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

Has anyone noticed that we have been flaming one-another a lot lately? I am not saying that I am not guilty of doing so but I really think the flaming needs to stop. Come on people, we are acting like PC users :eek:

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

any good examples ? i have not seen any flaming

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If you see a rules violation, the sooner you report it the better.

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

hmmm... i think i've missed the flaming too...

except for the nOObs... but don't they usually have it coming anyway?;) :D

5. reberto thread starter macrumors 65816

reberto

But its not going to stop them

6. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

it will , if you report it it will be stamped out and if they keep up with it then the user will be banned

just look at the spam on this site, it's jumped on from a height here so the rest of us can rest peacefully without being bombarded with free ipods or mac minis lol

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If it's persistent/bad enough, we (mods/gods) can stop them - so long as we actually know about it.

[​IMG]

8. thomasp macrumors 6502a

Would you class flaming as being ridiculed for not mentioning that you did a Google search before posting threads?

I posted a thread recently asking for software recommendations and had spent quite a lot of time trying to find adequate software on Google, VersionTracker and Pure-Mac, and had failed. Hence, I came to the forum to post about it, asking if anyone knew of software that could meet my requirements.

I didn't think I needed to mention that I had wasted hours googling, etc - previously when I've posted this has been a nice, friendly and welcoming community.

Instead, I was greeted with ridicule by someone who just assumed that because my postcount was less than theirs I didn't know anything about posting on internet forums and what to do before requesting help.

Posting comments like that is a great way to drive members away from the forum - especially when it's the first reply to a thread. And all forums need new members to replace old ones that leave for whatever reason :)

9. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

depends on what your question was ? if it was if apple was going to release front row for all the macs then maybe you did get a frosty response.

some people here do not always do a search on the forum search box and alot of repeat questions do get asked

would'nt take it personaly

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Since you have fewer posts than me, thomasp, I'm ignoring your comments. (Just kidding.)

You could have reported the post in question, which was sarcastic in tone despite providing a possibly-useful link in answer to your question, but replying to it was fine too, as would ignoring it. It's unfortunate when people do that, but no matter what rules the site has, good manners can't really be legislated or enforced, and people who ridicule or tease others in real life are just as likely to do so online, perhaps more likely since they are not seeing people face-to-face and can hide behind an online identity.

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It does get a bit tedious when there are already 5 threads on [insert a new product here] and they all show up next to each other when you click on New Posts and someone says "I couldn't find anything" as the first line of their new thread.

As far as flaming goes, it does seem that a few people are really having fun instigating.

12. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i know i sometime fall prey to reposts :rolleyes: but what happend to edesigns homer simpson graphic? mmmm

13. Jesus macrumors 6502

I havn't noticed any flaming either, so I guess I've just been missing it. It is the main problem with our huge forum, we tend to get really angry over tiny things.

Dr.Q, is there really a rule against flaming???

14. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Flaming is pretty minimal from what I have seen. There has a been a little more since a couple years back, but I just attribute that to the increase in membership. Too many noobs are buying macs and just don't know how to read or search.

Thread crapping, however, is more rampant than ever in the Marketplace. Seems everyone and their brother has an opinion about Joe Bob's product X for sale.

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

There is no specific rule about flaming, but flames are very likely to violate the rules we do have against personal insults, trolling, and spamming. We also have rules against making lots of work for the moderators, and against off-topic posting.

16. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Seriously, you're an idiot for having those rules. Only stupid people do that, not like the people at http://m********e.com! Plus, Macs are teh sux0rs, only n00bs use them!

Plus, has anybody heard anything new about intel pbs this January??!?!?!!0!1

;)

17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We also have a rule against member names with the letters s t r i d e y in them. Enforcement starts tomorrow. ;)

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Can you make a rule that says "nobody from Connecticut or western Massachusetts" too? :D

19. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Really?

I got a week-long ban for typing this phrase in response to a post:

Started off - 'Spoken like a true ignoramus' - followed with a comprehensive, well-thought out reply.

First 'offense'. Post pulled. No warning given. Then banned. Had to AIM arn to get my account re-activated. This was back in June or July. So what do MR mods scale in terms of criteria for banning? Seems like it's all over the place.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Members can PM a moderator if they really don't know why their post or thread was edited or removed, or why they were given time off from the forum, but the answer is always the same: violation of the rules that apply to all of us, and which are enforced as consistently as possible. Moderators have no reason to single somebody out, nor do they.

Members who have disabled Private Messages in their User Options do not receive warnings.

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You generally have to have a file three feet thick (or one metre, if you prefer) to be banned unless you have a serious insult or spam with a free [insert your desired device here] thread, complete with referrer number.

We've been pretty slow to ban, except in extreme cases. We've also been slow to remove useless posts because we don't see them all and MacRumors users don't report them all that often.

I can't say that I've seen anyone banned unjustly in the past 3 years. In fact, I would say that there are quite a handful of people who probably should have been banned who still roam the forums, just on the edge.

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Cries "uncle!"

Please stop the pain!

23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

there is not that much people here that will insult someone but those people are everywhere. MR boards are the cleanest one i go to. there is always someone insulting a "noob" just cause they are a "noob" but MR peepz are real good at assiting the "Noobs"....

Bless

24. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Somehow listening in on Jesus posting questions to god about flaming seems a little surreal.