Flappy Bird Clones Make Up One-Third of Newly Released iOS Games

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 27, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Though it has been three weeks since Dong Nguyen pulled his hit game Flappy Bird from the App Store, Flappy clones are continuing to flood the App Store.

Over a 24-hour period beginning yesterday, approximately 293 new iOS games have been released into the App Store. 95 of those games are either Flappy Bird clones or heavily inspired by the original Flappy Bird title, according to data gathered by The Guardian.

[​IMG]
    Various games inspired by Flappy Bird
    The Flappy Bird clones run the gamut of themes and main characters, and while a large number feature birds, there are also unicorns, floppy disks, cats, sponges, bricks, worms, pigs, and more. Flappy Beard Hipster Quest lets gamers guide a bearded hipster through cans of beer, while Buffalo Wings, from well-known developer Tapity, asks players to navigate a flying buffalo through brick pillars.

[​IMG]
    Buffalo Wings from Tapity

Flappy Bird clones have been appearing in the App Store since shortly after the original game ceased to be available. Mere hours after Flappy Bird's removal, Flappy Bee, a clone game that utilized stolen artwork, shot up the App Store charts, reaching the top five most popular free apps.

Apple began rejecting some Flappy Bird clones in mid-February, and even cracked down on Flappy Bee, insisting on a name change, but it appears the company has given up trying to filter out the slew of games attempting to capitalize on Flappy Bird's success. Many of the games released today even include Flappy in the title, a term that Apple was previously attempting to filter out.

At the height of its popularity, Flappy Bird was reportedly earning $50,000 per day, leading the developer to remove it from the App Store because it was an "addictive product," leaving a void that other developers have been attempting to fill, sometimes successfully.

According to the unscrupulous developer behind Flappy Bee, Apple's aforementioned forced name change caused the app to fall 300 places in the App Store charts, depriving him of 99 percent of the downloads and income he received by copying the Flappy Bird concept. In an interview, the developer hinted Flappy Bee may have been earning somewhere in the neighborhood of $10,000 to $15,000 dollars a day. The developer behind Flappy Bee has since restored the app to its original name and removed the stolen artwork, but the app has failed to make its way back up the charts.

Given Flappy Bird's incredible popularity and its lucrativeness during the time it was on the App Store, Flappy Bird clones and games inspired by the concept are unlikely to disappear from the App Store anytime soon. As for the original game, developer Dong Nguyen has no plans to return it to the App Store, though he will continue to release new titles.

Article Link: Flappy Bird Clones Make Up One-Third of Newly Released iOS Games

2. macrumors 65816

musika

3. macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Never have I ever thought I would ever see something like this on MacRumors

4. macrumors 65816

impulse462

5. macrumors 68020

In related news, iPhone clones now make up Two-Thirds of newly released smartphones. ;)

6. macrumors 68000

Well, that should help bring an end to the Flappy Bird craze. Once word gets out that new games are getting around 0 downloads a day, people will stop making the clones.

7. macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

How many of App Store's app are junk apps like this? Numbers are pretty high... I am always wondering why would Apple even approve apps like this?

8. macrumors 68040

D.T.

9. macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

10. macrumors 6502a

Why is this game popular? It's such a simple game. I've played a similar one before iOS existed on flash websites. It's not even that fun :confused::confused:

11. macrumors 68000

Hastings101

12. macrumors 68000

13. macrumors 6502a

brianvictor7

LOL! Made my day with that one! :D

14. macrumors 604

Piggie

Well it's what humans have done since the dawn of time.

15. macrumors 65816

16. macrumors regular

My version

I'm think I'm going to make one that farts and turns on/off the flash each time you press the screen to make the bird flap...:p

At a buck a pop, I'll be a dollar-aire

17. macrumors 6502a

18. macrumors 6502

Flappy moose,
    Flappy goose.

Flappy mouse,
    Flappy house.

Flappy honey bee,
    Flappy pee pee.

Now just to collect $300,000/day!

19. AngerDanger, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014

macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

I hear they're even releasing a fourth Matrix film based on the Flappy Bird mechanics. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

20. macrumors 68000

\-V-/

21. macrumors 6502

The same reason poker machines are used by gambling addicts.

It's not about fun, it's about trying to 'beat the game' and 'beat your score' because of compulsion loops. See also: candy crush.

22. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Editorial??

Flappy Bee wasn't released until after Flappy Bird was removed from the app store. Capitalizing while the iron is hot? You betcha. Unscrupulous? Personal opinion at best.

23. macrumors 6502a

24. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

25. macrumors 68020

carjakester