Flappy Bird Creator Set to Release New 'Swing Copters' Game This Thursday

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 18, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Flappy Bird creator Dong Nguyen is preparing to launch a new iOS game in the near future, called Swing Copters. Previewed exclusively by our sister site TouchArcade, Swing Copters adopts the ultra tough Flappy Bird-style gameplay, adding new mechanics and a fresh skin.

In Swing Copters, players are tasked with navigating platforms with swinging hammers while climbing upwards towards the sky, a deviation from the original side-scrolling gameplay in Flappy Bird. According to TouchArcade editor-in-chief Eli Hodapp, Swing Copters emulates the "one more try" gameplay of Flappy Bird while being even more "brutally difficult."

Back in March, Flappy Bird creator Dong Nguyen promised that the once popular game that spawned thousands of clones would return to the App Store in August. It is unclear whether Swing Copters is Nguyen's replacement for Flappy Bird or if Flappy Bird will also return to the App Store at some point.

Flappy Bird's incredible success in early 2014 prompted Nguyen to pull the game from the App Store in February, after the attention and media requests became overwhelming. At the height of its popularity, Flappy Bird was generating upwards of $50,000 per day. Nguyen also expressed concern over the response he was getting from parents and children, causing him to believe the game was simply too addictive. One woman reportedly told him he was "distracting the children of the world."

Nguyen has said that he would ensure that any future version of Flappy Bird would be "less addictive." He also suggested it would include multiplayer gameplay, but Swing Copters does not appear to include multiplayer capabilities at this time.

Swing Copters is set to be released this Thursday, August 21. The game will be a free download with a $0.99 in-app purchase to remove ads.

Article Link: Flappy Bird Creator Set to Release New 'Swing Copters' Game This Thursday

2. macrumors 6502

Dilster3k

This Flappy **** news has to stop.

3. macrumors 65816

djtech42

So we're back to this :D Somebody at MacRumors is a big fan of Flappy Bird. jk

4. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well I'm excited.

5. macrumors member

BerMuc

lets see when he starts whining again...

6. macrumors 6502

please keep all the flappy bird related news coming because we haven't had nearly enough of it yet.

7. macrumors 6502a

They are not fans, they are making money of it, pretending to report this as "news", when it actually is an advertise.

8. macrumors member

Let's hope it's not too successful lest he has to pull it again...!

9. macrumors 6502a

TsunamiTheClown

How did you guys get that sweet deal? I cannot fathom the levels of negotiations that must have taken place to land an exclusive review of the newest game by the godfather of mobile apps.

My birdie is ready.

10. macrumors 6502

Enabledobject

My heart, mind, body, and wallet are ready.

11. macrumors 6502

attila

At least the game is fairly original now.

12. 0815, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014

macrumors 68000

So if this one becomes another success - does he also pull it because he can't take all of the attention and feels bad for the addicted people? Or did he change is mind and thinks now that money is more important than feeling bad about peoples game addiction?

13. macrumors 68030

Wow.... it looks as frustrating and annoying as Flappy Bird.

Yet people will become addicted to it.

Then Mr. Nguyen will pull Swing Copters from the app store... saying it's his duty to protect people.

And cycle continues.

:rolleyes:

14. macrumors 68000

so wow, now instead random object flying to the right it is now random object flying to the top ???? Can wait for all the Flappy clones to be converted to this master change and release as new 'swing xyz'.

15. macrumors 68020

He shouldn't be allowed back into the App Store

16. macrumors 68030

CrAkD

Mothers of the world better pray I never create a game that's "too addictive" cause if it's earning $50k a day someone would have to kill me to get it taken down.

17. macrumors 601

The Doctor11

Can't wait to play for 10 minutes. It won't have the flappy bird feel though :(

18. macrumors newbie

All of this is just getting a little ridiculous. . .

19. macrumors member

hybroid

No... The whole charade was a publicity stunt to get his name out there. Pretty clever, it worked. If he hadn't, would anyone care about this app?

20. macrumors 6502

Could that video be any more boring?

21. macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

They have to do something when they aren't writing about the latest iphone 6 leaks. So, they play Flappy Bird.

22. macrumors 604

bushido

i see it doesnt auto retry just like flappy bird. hitting the play button everytime u died drove me batsh crazy

23. macrumors 65816

TouchMint.com

Idk looks ok but I heard Adventure To Fate is wayyyy better. ;)

24. macrumors 68020

Solomani

I will be the first to release a clone app…. ROFLcopter.

[​IMG]

25. macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

I tend to agree. Otherwise, if he's being sincere about it all, then this new game must've been deliberately programmed to be non-addictive and potentially not fun at all.