Flash 9 not working in FireFox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HydroMan, Jul 20, 2006.

1. HydroMan macrumors 6502

HydroMan

Just downloaded the latest Flash plugin (9,0,16,0) which works in Safari okay, but in FireFox (1.5.0.4) all I get is a QuickTime logo with a question mark in the middle, this happened before with a previous update (Flash/QuickTime, can't remember) but unfortunately I can't find the thread which remedied this, can anyone help my failing memory. My Comp-iMac G5 1.8 rev A, OS 10.4.7

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

For what it's worth, Flash 9 and FF 1.5.0.4 get along on my iMac G5 and Flash 9 and FF 1.5.0.3 (forgot to upgrade :eek: ) get along on my iBook G4. But I'm not sure what your fix is....

The problem sounds like it means that FF thinks QT is supposed to handle the media type.

Try this.

Close Firefox. Open System Preferences -> Quicktime Pane -> Advanced Tab. Make sure Flash is not selected under Miscellaneous, or better yet, try clicking use defaults?

3. HydroMan thread starter macrumors 6502

HydroMan

Thanks but it doesn't work for me, the last time this happened I downloaded a Flash plugin ( didn't pay much attention as to which version and put it into Internet Plugins folder and it worked alongside the newer version :confused:, Oh and the plugin looked like a Lego brick not a .xpt ) Thanks for your input :)

4. abhishek macrumors member

5. EEcuber17 macrumors member

Yeah, I've been having problems with FF and Flash too.

I'll get that bar at the top saying I need to install/update to view the page. So it wants to install flash, when I've already done that like 1243 times.

6. HydroMan thread starter macrumors 6502

HydroMan

Thanks for the link abhishek I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling (saved my bookmarks) and that seems to have sorted the problem out.

7. abhishek macrumors member

8. lytesource macrumors newbie

weirder still...

I have the same problem except with, Safari, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. First I noticed it with Safari. I reinstalled Flash 9. Great, all was well. Then after a few hours on the net, suddenly QT logo with a question mark in the middle, again. I checked Firefox and ditto. Checked Explorer, same problem. Tried updating, and all earlier suggestions, (system prefs, QT preferences etc.) I have uninstalled and reinstalled till I'm blue in the face. I repaired my disk verifications hoping that would help but nothing.

This has happened several times over the past few weeks and reinstalling seemed to help for a few hours, but now I can't seem to fix the problem. I really dont know what I'm doing, just pushing buttons hoping to hit the right one. Please help.

9. NealSpencer macrumors newbie

NealSpencer

Ditto on the problem with Adobe Flash 9 and Safari and Firefox

I have the same problem and have tried all the usual solutions; I think there is a software bug in the latest Flash download.:eek:

Neal