Flash dies in Safari, re-launch revives it

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by DominikHoffmann, May 24, 2012.

1. DominikHoffmann
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

DominikHoffmann

I'm probably not the only one with Safari 5.1.5 and Flash 11.2.202.235 who has flash content go entirely black on pages like those on YouTube. In that case, if I really want to view the video, I quit and re-launch Safari, which makes the page come back with the video content displayed properly.

Given that this happens once or twice a day, I would live to find a solution better than the re-launch routine or to wait until either Apple or Adobe find the issue and fix it.

Does anyone have any ideas? I just looked at a thread that was started many months ago, where it looked like it had something to do with YouTube cookies and a re-launch didn't provide a work-around. This tells me that what I am experiencing is different.

2. gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

Youtube completely locks up on me now. It loads the page then just locks safari until I force close it.

3. DominikHoffmann
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors regular

DominikHoffmann

It's happened again. This time I verified that it happens with Vimeo, too. This points not to YouTube alone, but to Flash or Safari in how it interacts with Flash.

4. sofasurfer
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Been having a nightmare with Flash based content over the last few weeks. I get the black screen when playing youtube videos...although the audio plays fine.

I also get some sites ( including MacRumors) that just show a blank page when it has loaded. A reboot will sort it out but just like the op this is happening at least twice a day.

using the flash removal tool and reinstalling the latest version of Flash hasn't helped either.

5. lighthouse_man
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Same problem here, but Safari just freezes completely. Everything is up to the latest update. Temporarily resolved by playing flash videos in Firefox and Chrome.