Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
Anyone know of an App or script, or flash tutorial I can get to create a flash flipbook from a PDF or even just from JPGs?

I have been looking all over the place, but maybe I'm just using the wrong search terms.

All I am finding is a bunch of websites who will do it for you "In just 5 minutes!"...That's not what I want. I want to do it myself.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

laynechin

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2011
I'm not competent enough in Flash to use a component. As far as I Googled, aXmag.com offers Page Flip Creator for Mac OS. And this kind of product is ideal.

Mutinygraphiks

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
i know that adobe has a conversion from photoshop to flash to create a movie like image you would just have to create the page format, and add photos per sliced image layer.

macstudent

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
If you have InDesign CS4 or CS5, it is really easy.

Just place each page of the PDF (or each jpg) on a page inside InDesign, then export to SWF. Be sure to turn on "add interactive page curl" and now you have your flip book.

You can add navigation buttons via the buttons panel or just use the sample buttons that ship with it.

advnturgal

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
If you have InDesign CS4 or CS5, it is really easy.

Just place each page of the PDF (or each jpg) on a page inside InDesign, then export to SWF. Be sure to turn on "add interactive page curl" and now you have your flip book.

You can add navigation buttons via the buttons panel or just use the sample buttons that ship with it.

I was able to make the flip book, but is it possible to make a zoom in and out? Also, the first and last page of the catalog are off to one side. I would like them to be centered. Is that possible?

Where is the buttons panel? Is that in Flash or Acrobat?

Last edited by a moderator:

macstudent

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
t isn't possible to create zoom buttons with InDesign CS4/5 directly when you export to SWF.

If you really really want to be able to zoom, there is a plug-in called edocker that lets you add the zoom capability to SWFs from InDesign. The only problem is that you do have to pay a few hundred dollars for it. If you are creating this for a company and they really want/need this capability, it might be worth the money.

http://www.edocker.com/features/

However, if you want to create other buttons like "go to page X" or "play a movie" you can reach them under window > interactive > buttons. (inside InDesign)

Regarding your questions about 1st/last page, the reason for this is because you created a document with facing pages and every time you start a new document with them enabled, you start with page 1 being alone on the right hand side. To solve this problem, right click (control+click) on the page 1 thumbnail in the pages panel and choose numbering and section options. In the dialog, change the starting page number to 2. You won't be able to force the last page to not be alone, so be sure to have an even number of pages for your design.

One other option is to embrace the fact that you start and end with a page off to the side (like a real book). To make this seem more realistic, create an empty graphic frame and fill it with the same color as the browser window. Put this frame on the pasteboard next to the front/back of the book. Now it will look like your book is just sitting there.

If you want to learn more about interactive documents with InDesign, I recommend that you check out my lynda.com series on the topic. http://www.lynda.com/jamesfritz
You can get a free 1 week pass to the videos by going to http://www.lynda.com/trial/jfritz if you are not a member.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.

advnturgal

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
A Great Help!

t isn't possible to create zoom buttons with InDesign CS4/5 directly when you export to SWF.

If you really really want to be able to zoom, there is a plug-in called edocker that lets you add the zoom capability to SWFs from InDesign. The only problem is that you do have to pay a few hundred dollars for it. If you are creating this for a company and they really want/need this capability, it might be worth the money.

http://www.edocker.com/features/

However, if you want to create other buttons like "go to page X" or "play a movie" you can reach them under window > interactive > buttons. (inside InDesign)

Regarding your questions about 1st/last page, the reason for this is because you created a document with facing pages and every time you start a new document with them enabled, you start with page 1 being alone on the right hand side. To solve this problem, right click (control+click) on the page 1 thumbnail in the pages panel and choose numbering and section options. In the dialog, change the starting page number to 2. You won't be able to force the last page to not be alone, so be sure to have an even number of pages for your design.

One other option is to embrace the fact that you start and end with a page off to the side (like a real book). To make this seem more realistic, create an empty graphic frame and fill it with the same color as the browser window. Put this frame on the pasteboard next to the front/back of the book. Now it will look like your book is just sitting there.

If you want to learn more about interactive documents with InDesign, I recommend that you check out my lynda.com series on the topic. http://www.lynda.com/jamesfritz
You can get a free 1 week pass to the videos by going to http://www.lynda.com/trial/jfritz if you are not a member.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks so much for the information! I will work on it and let you how it turns out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.