flash mobbing - shall we give it a go?

Discussion in 'Community' started by mrjamin, Aug 14, 2003.

1. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

so whaddaya think? I'm up for it!

for those of you who don't know what flash mobbing is:

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've been thinking of doing one here in DC - in one of the Smithsonian buildings. Large public space and set up something appropriate.

We'll see - I also don't want to be attributed as an organizer and get 'caught'.

A lot of the publicity has been rather negative....

D

3. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

Flash mobbing, the new media hype..!

why do people do such things? well, each his own...

vSpacken

4. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I think people should, if they want to be noticed, doing something WORTHY of being noticed for!

Like, oh, I dunno, make some GOOD pictures. Write some stunning music. Volunteer your time to work with kids with disabilities. Help clean up a run down neighborhood park. Paint a great picture. Help a worthwhile cause write a grant. Etc etc etc etc etc.

Not this stupidity for the sake of making a statement. There's much more productive things to do with one's time.

Like Billy Bragg said at the 9:30 club last spring:

"People that throw **** at the window of a McDonald's in the name of the working man don't hurt anyone but the working man. When they ask me how to help the working man, I tell them to start a Union..."

Words to live by-- Anarchist pranks are generally stupid, and really miss the point, this garbage included. Productive things coupled with good creative thought is the stuff that REALLY makes things happen.

5. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Then you shouldn't participate. I knew a kid who was all about Anarchist movements, et. al, and when the cops came to a May Day rally... he hightailed it outta there quicker than you can say "coward"

If you're too afraid of getting caught, too afraid of being seen as the leader, then stay at home and don't participate.

Though I do agree-- I wouldn't wanna be involved as the leader. Though I wouldn't wanna be involved period.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'd rather just observe it - and in a flash mob, most people wouldn't even know the originator.

I don't see anything wrong with them and find it far from an anarchist event. For me its different perspective on a social scene, order in the chaos.

D

7. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

But... at its root, I think it does have all the markings of the anarchist movement. Kinda like the Buy Nothing Day stuff.

I think smart people see it as order in chaos, and I agree with you sociologically.

But many people will see it as an anarchist move. It'll get attached to that underground, and basically is as useful as any method of protest. Instead of standing around, DO SOMETHING. :)

You know, "the legs feed the wolf"

And if you stand around, protest, flash mob, whatever, you're still... just standing around. Doing nothing productive.

One thing i've learned is that there is BETTER ways to subvert the masses. They probably look at this and think "Damn kids these days" or they don't notice at all.

It really is that bad in America...so many drones!

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Part of it is the fact that its organized on the net and spills over to the real world. That's one thing the makes this a little different - find ties between the cyber world and real world events.

We have a community here at MacRumors, yet only a handful of us have ever really met anyone in real life. I think the merging of the two is a good thing and has implications down the road that we haven't even imagined yet.

D

9. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Right. But i'd rather see something productive (even geekfest seems more productive than that, though it's basically a weekend of revelry)

Flash mobs just don't seem productive

ya know?

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I've been reading about this for the past couple weeks now...and I've been waiting for something significant to come from it...nothing yet though.

I'd participate...I figure...why not? It could compare much to Mardi Gras, just in a much smaller quantity.

I'd even organize it. ;)

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ah, but we don't know exactly where they're going - that's why I was discussing the tie in with virtual and real worlds.

I think they might have a purpose - but they've not been realized yet.

D

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't see anything wrong with a flash mob. As long as it is for fun, why not! I agree with Anderson, think that I would prefer to observe. From my perspective it seems like an event for the younger set!

13. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I doubt it'll go much farther than this. It'll probably die out soon.

Passing fad i think.

And i think the organizers are probably people who want desperately to be noticed and/or have too much time on their hands for lack of productive things to do. ;)

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Maybe, but they are doing something...being productive...by putting together something. I see nothing negative about it. I think it's much better than sitting around doing nothing.

15. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I'd rather see people organize, say, a community based art event. Like FLUX or something similar.

Although that sure seems like a lot more hard work than getting a bunch of people to stand around and clap for 30 second then disperse.

It's the whole "notice me notice me" philosophy that I really eschew.

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Maybe so...but it's for fun...so who cares? Like u said earlier...don't participate. ;)

17. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Sure. But i'm just relaying my opinion and that is that I think there's better more constructive things to do with bandwidth and time.

If you wanna go ahead and organize one, great. It's not like it requires a lot of thought, knowledge and work.

So it's a piece of cake. Just don't get discouraged if it doesn't work. ;)

18. iGav macrumors G3

It'll get banned in London... it's the ideal trojan horse for a suicide bomber, and London is currently on a hefty armed alert at the moment... with the fuzz having orders to shoot anyone that looks like a suicide bomber... :rolleyes:

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ah, now that's a sad state of affairs......:(

and you're totally right - if a suicide bomber plans a flash mob and gets everyone to go, he doesn't even need to be there. He'll know that he can get 100s of people packed in close to one place at an exact time. All he has to do is pick the place carefully and leave a bomb set to go off at the right time.

Damn, damn, damn! :mad:

I really hope that it never happens.

D

20. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

The fuzz has guns? I thought you guys beat each-other with sticks. :D ;)

21. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I personally think we should all gather together and flash Mac everyone...we'll all wear nice overcoats and when we all get together in the square, we'll pull them out and flash everyone with our bright glowing Apple's! Take that, everyone! Mwahaha! We'll blind them all with the glowing Apples on the lids of our PowerBooks until we can be seen from space. Perhaps then we'll finally make first contact with an alien race who sees the Apple logos from space and realizes that there is indeed intelligent life on Earth worthy of exploring...

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You just put a real damper on the fun Mr. Anderson, but we also need some reality.

As I had mentioned earlier, it would be fun to set one up at a Apple store. All we need is someone to organize the affair!

23. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

haha...someone in New Orleans is already organizing one...

I just got an email from my AOL account. Apparently, my location of New Orleans showed up in their member directory. I'm on a list with about 100 other people.

It's this Saturday at 6:00 pm. I may not be able to participate though...my dad's birthday & all. :(

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I hope that your Dad will have a nice B-Day, with many more to come. It is important to enjoy your father while you have him. What kind of present did you purchase?

Maybe you can work around the activities of the day. It would be interesting to hear a 1st hand account of the activities at a flash blob. Especially from a fellow forum member. Your Dad might enjoy the adventure!

25. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

After the power comes back the all of NYC, I think there should be a flash mob...

'We Want Power!'

At City Hall for like 3 minutes

Everyone looking confused and then leaving...

--pwn.

:p