Flash Mobs?? WTF is this all about!?!?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by sparkleytone, Jul 5, 2003.

1. macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
  2. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Ha, now that's pretty nuts!

I'm thinking it might even be fun doing one in DC.....;)

Anyone who hears about one in this area, let me know - the pics alone might be worth going...

3. Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    Ha, reminds me of the Larry Niven story "The Last Days of the Permenant Floating Riot Club", 'course, they had matter transporters, but its a similar idea.
  4. Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    Hmmm, what's the purpose behind them, though? The article doesn't really say.

Or is it just performance art for the sake of causing a ruckus?
  5. macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    These things sound like fun :D

I wonder how easily they can be organized at a college campus?

I know they have been able to organize a major food fight at the college I'm going to... I guess it was kinda like a flash mob, except it wasn't a flash... It went on for 5 minutes...

I think it'd actually be pretty neat to see one in action.
  6. macrumors 68000

Jan 7, 2002
    2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    this is funny stuff...i'd do it if they had a gathering in l.a.( and i had the time...)

i was a co-organizer of a huge food fight while in college.

on parent's day no less.:D
  7. macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Well the article explains part of it as a sense of community. I could see the attraction to being part of a group like this. But I think, overall, they're just done because the people can do it. Just a few individuals, no matter what their rank in society, can grab headlines. And it provides that wonderful "what the hell?" factor for the rest of the general population... To see a mob suddenly form, do something specific, and then quietly disband would be so damn weird...

can't get too much into the "is it art" arguement, because I damn near always give artists and exhibits the benefit of the doubt, but in this case I think "art" is a bit too strong a term... There's no meaning or point, unless the meaningless *is* the point, in which case, welcome to every art project ever done in sophomore college art class.

still, i do wish we had one of these around here, i'd be in... :) Sounds fun!

8. macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Performance art *bah*

Hardly Performance Art. In its heyday, this was an excellent form of expression and done by artists with intent and almost always a message to take away. Heck, Whoopie Goldberg was doing performance art in our own local Sushi Gallery before she moved to San Francisco and, a year later, appeared in The Color Purple.

Rachel Rosenthal, Yoko Ono, The Kipper Kids, Paul Best...the list goes on. Oh, those were the days for serious performance. Although I admit that these little mob gatherings have their appeal, like anything else loosely organized and involving the general public on a regular basis for no purpose whatsoever than to be involved in a "rumble", these soon will be cracked down upon, banned, and otherwise distrupted when a few jerks ruin the fun, and the cops start getting hip to the e-mail lists and show up well before the gathering.
  9. macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    No offense to you guys... But I have to wonder who is that bored to go a participate in one of these?

I am sure it is surreal, but I can't see myself going out of my way to participate.

Just call me a fuddy duddy. :)
  10. macrumors 6502a

Jun 24, 2003
    Brooklyn - NYC
  11. macrumors 6502

May 11, 2003
    Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
    Obviously not mac users.

Sounds like something you'd do when you get bored with your PC