Flash MX slow on G5?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by triton, Apr 7, 2004.

1. triton macrumors regular

Jul 15, 2003

I've been dying to purchase an Apple for over a year now. I currently have a PC which I'm handing over to another family member. Anyhow, this may sound stupid, but I would buy an Apple right off the bat if it weren't for two things....

01. Flash has always seemed to run slow on apple's, thus I'm worried being a graphic artist (in training) that I won't be able to make any flash animations worth a damn since the machine isn't optimized for it. :(

02. A bit worried about how well Maya works on a Mac. If you used it, how does it run in comparison to a PC? :confused:

Thanks for any help you can give me.
  2. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    i don't know what you mean about Flash running 'slow'. i'm also a graphic designer (in training :p) and i've got a 1.25GHz PB and Flash seems to run fine.

as for Maya... well as it happens i've played around with that on my PB as well. :D

it's good, although i didn't really do anything to really push it. you should ask about that on a 3D forum. but on a G5, with a decent amount of RAM i'd think it would run very well.
  3. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    I have/run flash MX on my pm 733 no problem (and on an upgraded pismo)...no problem...I do not have the 2004 suite, though, and there were some issues with dreamweaver 2004 speed...not that that translates to your question necessarily...also I cannot compare with how the PC equivalent performs, as I haven't used it/them
    also I cannot comment on Maya, as I have not used it, I agree with the suggestion of poking around design 3D forums
    guess I'm actually pretty useless, sorry
  4. rockman2023 macrumors member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wrong Island, NY < NYC
    I have a 733 Quicksilver, 384 MB RAM, and I have no problems with Flash MX. However, navigating the menus in Flash MX 2004 seems to be a bit slower for me. There's a noticable lag when selecting items (tools, menus, etc.) in the different panes compared to Flash MX. You can still create great content with MX(v6); there's no need to get MX 2004 if you're only looking to create animations. Plus, MX should be less expensive now that v7 is out. It's all up to you.