Flash not working in any browser

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by quasar720, Nov 12, 2004.

1. quasar720 macrumors member

quasar720

I broke my system's Flash. I'm not sure how, but for some reason Flash won't work in ANY browser on my system (Safari, Firebird, IE5). Every time I open a web page that has Flash on it, I get an error that says I need the plugin and it directs me to the OS X Macromedia download page. I download and install the .bin file which sends me back to the Macromedia site but I instantly get the same error that I don't have the plugin. Does anyone know how I can fix this? It's driving me nuts! :cry:

Here's the complete error message:

The page “...” has content of MIME type “application/x-shockwave-flash”, but you don’t have a plug-in installed for this MIME type. A plug-in should be available on this page:

http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

Do you want to open the page?

2. quasar720 thread starter macrumors member

quasar720

Update>>

The fix on this involved deleting every file on my computer that had anything to do with Flash (did a find file>Flash) and then reinstalling Flash 7 using the installer from Macromedia. When I originally tried this, I was able to delete the files no problem, but was unable to install Flash as the system told me i did not have appropriate access privliges. The second time, after deleting the files, I ran Disk Utility's Repair Permissions function. When it was complete, i was able to reinstall Flash and finally go about my life again. No idea what the original cause was, something must have gotten corrupted for whatever reason. I'm just glad to have it fixed!