Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chef Ramen

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2002
thats very cool, though im sure apple's version will be much different.

best start saving my pennies i guess!

jeffberg

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2001
Very Cool.

The only thing I would ask of it, is a real preview, maybe not of the text documents, but the WebPage and the Pictures should have a real preview.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Now it makes sense

Very good demo. It would be more Finder-like if the highlighted JPEGs appeared as little preview pictures rather than a simple icon. Same goes for .MOVs and plain text files.

MOM

macrumors member
May 14, 2002
San Francisco
I like the demo. It looks like another good way manage files. I think the folks who like to keep everything on teh desktop will love it. I would expect the highlighted file to zoom out like the dock.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Although it is a cool demo - I certainly hope there is more to it than that. It has a nice 'cool' factor, but as a practical file organization tool I wouldn't really use it.

Sort of like the 3D finder demos....

D

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
Originally posted by dukestreet
Although it is a cool demo - I certainly hope there is more to it than that. It has a nice 'cool' factor, but as a practical file organization tool I wouldn't really use it.

Sort of like the 3D finder demos....

D

I agree. I can't see how this would be useful for me. I organize my folders and name my docs in a way that makes sense and that I can tell what it is. If someone can explain to me how this would be useful, I'll listen.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
the cool thing about it is its icon view with previews. i need all that data about a file and its nice to get to it without using list view or the column preview.

that was very nice for the person to create the demo by the way.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
I could definitely see the uses in this-- having a pile for each active project, or for bigger projects having a folder with files piled however you like... i would kill for this at work... damn wintel, it'll be 5 years before they get this, and it'll be ugly.

i like the aesthetics of the demo... very Apple, but still has that 'fun' aspect to it-- being able to switch between disheveled and neat... i'll definitely put this to good use if/when it comes out...

pnw

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
Dude that demo is pretty weak. There has to be more for that to have a pattend.
now now, i thought it was pretty good, its hard to make a demo on something we have never seen before.

iJon

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
GOOD JOB Richard Das!!

Originally posted by NavyIntel007
Dude that demo is pretty weak. There has to be more for that to have a pattend.

Don't be a jerk NavyIntel007...:rolleyes:

It's pure speculation at this point on something that may not even exist in this form. I definately see the potential on a much grander scale though.

Time to distinguish ourselves from Micrapsoft even further and change the old 2-dimensional finder views in order to make computer use more intuitive...Apple Style!!:D

MOM

macrumors member
May 14, 2002
San Francisco
To those who find it hard imagine how this would be useful:

I think most computer savey folks have a very organized method of filing their stuff. They know their way around the hard drive and they may not see why piles (as demoed-I don't know any more about this) would help them out. However, I know many people who turn on their Mac and work off the desktop for everything. My Father for instance. He has me install software and all he want to know is what button to hit to start it. As for his files, they're all over the desktop where he can see them. I work at a University around a lot of medical doctors. Many are not that computer savy. They know how to start MS word etc. I've seen desktops that give me the chills. I commented to one recently (he had about 50 items scattered on his desktop) on his "mess." He said thats how he remembers the things he needs to work on. Just like the "piles" of paper on his desk. I can very easily imagine that piles technology as I understand it would fit perfectly with this method of visual/location on desktop filing. Its just the "desktop" metaphore taken further.

Good night all, MOM

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by MOM
My Father for instance...
If you are MOM, does that make your father GRANDPA?

The piles demo was a good way to illustrate one way to view a collection of files. I can imagine a variation that would be fun to see: Suppose you open a folder that is in icon view. When you move the cursor over each icon while holding down, say, the Control key, the icon under the cursor enlarges (like magnification in the dock) and shows you file info and a file preview right there. It's like a magnifying glass you can drag over any item.

Macette

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Melbourne
that's how i imagine it too - great job richard das.

i like the idea of it... not sure if i'd use it, though i probably would, but i think os X will be really improved by having lots of different visual metaphors for storage, because different people work in different ways.

stuartmingay

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2002
... yeah. I imagine the previews would show the actual document contents. Would the name of the pile be the only clue to the relevence of the document grouping do you think? Would each doc open if you double-clicked the pile?

Stu

rdas7

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
London, England
Author Here

Hey guys, thanks for all the kind comments.

As for the usefullness of Piles: have you ever gone on a desktop-picture hunt and downloaded 10 from the internet only to have them land on your desktop and clutter everything up? I assume you'd be able to just take pictures and drag-n-drop them on each other (kind of like when you drag-n-drop a doc on an app to open it) and have them stack. They'd still all be sitting nicely on your desktop (ie. easy access), but they wouldn't be taking up so much screen real-estate.

As for comments from people who said the "previews" should be more elaborate:
I think that the preview mechanism will be as elaborate as is practical. That is, that preview area could hold just about anything - quicktime movies could have a mini-video, just like in Finder list-views. However, in order for the pile to be useful, these would have to instantly load (you don't want each file to "stick" as a preview loads), or perhaps the preview only loads after a second or two (if you hover). In this demo, it's just toggling through flat images (so, switching is instant)...

Thanks again for all the comments. I personally can't wait for 10.3 - sounds like it's going to be well worth the price. After all, so much work goes into these things - 10.2 is a work of art.

davy the bunny

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Dallas
Originally posted by Doctor Q
burlybrawl.jpg?

Burly Brawl is the name of the big action scene where all of the Agent Smiths attack Neo in Matrix Reloaded. The codename for the script of Matrix Reloaded was "The Burly Man" because of it. . . Keymaker is also a reference to Matrix Reloaded, I think he's the guy you've seen on the back of Trinity's motorcycle in the chase scenes. And I'm sure we all know what movie "mnemonic" refers to, I personally love bad movies and that was one that was horribly wonderful. . .

rdas7

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
London, England
Actually, mnemonic was a reference to my band, "Mnemonic" http://www.mnemonicgroove.com <- shameless plug!

But, you're right cause the band's named after the Gibson short story.

(I guess people are more psyched about the Matrix Reloaded than they are about iTablet_specs!) ;)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
It was a good job for viewing how it might work. I like the analogy of the user who has everything on their desk top.

As some one who has 10,000s of files, my organization requires something a little more robust. So it might not be suitable for every user, but it will be for some.

And I'm sure there will be some more functionality to it.

D

davy the bunny

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Dallas
last off topic post for me, sorry

I personally am more excited about matrix reoladed because it's something I know for a fact is happening, I try not to get to excited about rumors/speculation. . . (please don't hurt me with semantics)

Anyway, because I use my digital camera so much, I'd really love to be able to bring all of the pics from a session to my desktop as a pile so that I can work with them easily. Even though I think that I use folders effectively, they sometimes take up too much screen real estate. If implemented well I can see piles definitely becoming yet another great feature of OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.